Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps freezing/crashing randomly, then restores itself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ceet12

ceet12

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Hi, hope every one is good

computer spec, win 7 64 (fully updated). all drivers are updated, and bios is upto date
asus p6t delux v2, i7 940, 12gb ram ocz 1000w power supply (bought 6 months ago)
main drive- kingston ssd vnow series 128gb , could it be this?

I hope someone could help me and would really appreciate it

recently we had a builder round, and the electricity tripped while my computer was on since then my computer constantly freezes randomly no given time really (could be guessing at this time really as updates have occured as well recently)

An example is i could be browsing the web on a variety of browsers or just using the computer in general, the computer will lock up sometimes allowing me to move the mouse but not being able to do anything, and sometimes not being able to move the mouse,

it will then un freeze about 2-3 minutes later?

and when it frezes i could press ctrl alt & del, then the task manager will pop up when the computer has resumed it self

i recently ran memtest on all the ram after around 50 hours of testing there was an error on one piece,

another thing it could be possibly one of the updates i have run for drivers bios etc, but id be clutching at straws trying to find out

i have norton 360 and malwarebytes on, both find NO Viruses,

so i retested one at a time in the same dimm slot, no problems? i then tested in pairs still no problems? i then retested all and this time i had no problems? strange? but only retested for 30 hours

at the bottom of the memtest screen, it said pass complete no errors,

Any help would be great

Thanks so much

EDIT:
Ive just noticed something when it recenly crashed, a small popup windows appeared saying windows is not responding, or something similar?

Edited by ceet12, 24 March 2012 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ceet12

ceet12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

anyone?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

FWIW: Anytime there is an unexpected/hard shutdown of the system...there is a chance that Windows files may become damaged. As a general procedure, it is (IMO) smart to run the chkdsk /r after such, in an effort to overcome such possibiliity.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command, then see how the system behaves.

Louis

#4 ceet12

ceet12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

thank louis! much appreciated! im a bit of a noob, so because this is the c drive im assuming right clicking on c drive, then clicking properties and tools is not correct, do i have to boot to dos promt, and also is there a simple or correct way of doing this?

Thankyou

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/
Please read this link and use Method 1 to start a command under Windows7
There are detailed pictures to show you how to do this - Now Type chkdsk /r and press enter, then reboot your computer -

Note that there is a space between k and / This could take foom 1 to 2 hours to complete the full 5 stages (please let it run)

Thank You -

#6 ceet12

ceet12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

hi noknojon i followed per instructions, to no luck, since then i have bought a new ssd and reisntalled windows, it has happened again once since reinstalling, however i have noticed something strange, i installed hwmonitor, and when ripping a dvd or using the pc the processor is getting as hot as 99 degrees c

and on idel 55-60 degrees c

im assuming this is the problem?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like it may be a bit odd -
If you would like us to have a quick look, you can follow these directions
Please post a snapshot with Speccy -
How to Publish a snapshot with Speccy <<== Directions

Also download SpeedFan (if you have not yet done this) from below link so you can keep an eye on your fluctuating high temps -
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/SpeedFan-Download-4103.html

Thank You -
EDIT - I would re run check disk again, unless someone posts another specific check -

Edited by noknojon, 10 April 2012 - 06:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users