Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apple ID Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ras1usa

ras1usa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hello good people. You come highly recommended.
My name is ras1usa, and I am glad to meet you all.

I am so disgusted right now its not funny. I had some fairly severe problems with my windows PC and someone talked me into getting a I-mac. Nice computer but problems right from the get go.

I paid over $1600.00 for the computer and the extended 3 year warranty. It came with I-photo, I-movie, Garage band and several other I-programs. The problem is that they make you get an apple ID to be able to update these programs.

No problem, but after I set up an apple-ID and linked it to my paypal account, it said wait a moment while we transfer you to the App Store. When I then click on update, it shows the apple ID logon again. I enter my info once again, and it says This Apple ID has not been used with the I-tunes store. Please review your account information. This is a vicious never ending circle. I did this over 30 times.

I called Mac and got disconnected 2 times and when I did get a person, it sounded like they were in a 100 foot tunnel and I could not hear a word he was saying. Then I got someone I could hear and they told me I had to pay for apple to help. I said What? Yes they wanted $169.00 a year for them to help, or $59.00 per problem.

Hopefully someone here can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

I would start with deleting all cookies and temp files.

Then read thru the instructions in the link below. One says to get a free app before completing
all of the steps.
Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

EDIT:
If you have used Ccleaner in Windows then you should have no problem with using it to
cleanup the Mac.
CCleaner for Mac OS X

System Requirements Requires an Apple Mac running OSX 10.5 to 10.7 Lion
Click here for the PC Version.

Edited by buddy215, 24 March 2012 - 01:10 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

If you are not able to fix the issue and you have to post back to this topic please provide the following info:
What version of OS X are u running. To find out: Apple icon --> click about this mac --> the version number is under the apple logo

By the way :welcome: to Bleeping Computer! :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hello good people. You come highly recommended.
My name is ras1usa, and I am glad to meet you all.

I am so disgusted right now its not funny. I had some fairly severe problems with my windows PC and someone talked me into getting a I-mac. Nice computer but problems right from the get go.

I paid over $1600.00 for the computer and the extended 3 year warranty. It came with I-photo, I-movie, Garage band and several other I-programs. The problem is that they make you get an apple ID to be able to update these programs.

No problem, but after I set up an apple-ID and linked it to my paypal account, it said wait a moment while we transfer you to the App Store. When I then click on update, it shows the apple ID logon again. I enter my info once again, and it says This Apple ID has not been used with the I-tunes store. Please review your account information. This is a vicious never ending circle. I did this over 30 times.

I called Mac and got disconnected 2 times and when I did get a person, it sounded like they were in a 100 foot tunnel and I could not hear a word he was saying. Then I got someone I could hear and they told me I had to pay for apple to help. I said What? Yes they wanted $169.00 a year for them to help, or $59.00 per problem.

Hopefully someone here can help.

Did you register the Apple Care at Apple's support page? You don't need to pay for any phone calls or support for hardware and software whenever you need help within the three years of the AC coverage.
http://www.apple.com/support/products/
http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

When did Apple start requiring an Apple ID for software updates? Couldn't you just run Software Update from the Apple menu and download the updates from there? You could also go to Apple's support download page to manually download and install the updates.
http://support.apple.com/downloads/

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

When did Apple start requiring an Apple ID for software updates? Couldn't you just run Software Update from the Apple menu and download the updates from there? You could also go to Apple's support download page to manually download and install the updates.

When they started to use the app store on OS X..
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

When they started to use the app store on OS X..

Really? My MBP has the app store and none of my software updates required an Apple ID. :unsure: Must be a Lion thing. Does that mean there is no more Software Update in OSX?

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

There is software update but if im not mistaken the i apps such as iphoto and the like require *on lion* to use the app store to update. :)
sigcomp.png 

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

There is software update but if im not mistaken the i apps such as iphoto and the like require *on lion* to use the app store to update. :)

Thanks. I just looked it up and you are correct.
About updating iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand

ras1usa - Try this fix.

#9 ras1usa

ras1usa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thank you all for the prompt response
. It really is nice to see people willing to help. This is my first MAC and there is a learning curve, and some things I really do not like, and will force me to keep a PC for a majority of my work.

The problem with update of the programs has been solved. I talked to my neighbor and he suggested something that worked. He said that I need to sign in and make an I-tunes account using my apple ID. I did not have to make a purchase, I just need to sign up. I was then allowed to update the installed programs.

The real downside of MAC is the programs I am used to using, are available for MAC, but they do not have the most common features, and most make you purchase the full versions. "Any Video convertor" being one of them. This being many formats will not work with quicktime. I also had to download VLC to play most videos that I had.

The other issue I have with mac is the limit of 4gb file size, because of Fat32 file system. Most movies in 1080p are well above 4gb in size, but that is an issue I will have to deal with. A person would figure that Apple would embrace NTFS since it has so many advantages.

Oh well....... Thank you all for your help in this situation.

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Flip4Mac and Perian plugins for Quicktime will play 99% of the videos out there. You can find them here along with some Mac video converters.

FAT32 file system used with a Windows machine will still have a 4 GB limit, it's not only limited to Macs. NTFS formatted drive are read only on a Mac. Macs won't write to NTFS drive, not without a 3rd party app. If the drive is to be used only with the Mac, format it as HFS+ with Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities) and you won't have any problems with files over 4 GB. Back up the data before formatting though, formatting will erase everything.

These will help you with your Mac. The Help files included with the Mac are pretty good IMO. You should look at them.
Switch 101
Mac 101

#11 ras1usa

ras1usa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I am sure it will take time to learn the difference between the computer systems. I did not learn PC overnight and I am quite sure I will get used to MAC in time.

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

The real downside of MAC is the programs I am used to using. . . Any Video convertor" being one of them. This being many formats will not work with quicktime.

Quicktime (Crashtime) is useless for me, I use VLC.

Yup, I like my mac, but, I found that I'm severely limited with a Mac, since I mainly work with MPEG 2 video, AC3, MP2 audio. It's a good idea to keep a Windows box around.

Here's a video converter that works really well on OSX. Not sure if it's still free.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

You'll need Perian, and the Apple MPEG 2 Playback Component if you want to work with MPEG 2. (which is the industry standard for DVD)

Handbrake is also a very good free video converter.

http://handbrake.fr/details.php

#13 ras1usa

ras1usa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hi good people,
I was happy to finally get the apple ID issue solved, but it was not a week later until another problem arisen. Now I see another update for i-photo. Now I spent hours following the MAC suggestions only to have nothing work. I now have an error code 100 pop up when I try to update. I followed all I could find. I logged off App store, I re-logged on and that did not work, I logged out from I-tunes and re-logged on and that did not work. I logged off and shut down the computer. I started the computer and re-logged on and that did not work. This MAC has done nothing but give me problems and it is very frustrating. Support seem to not be willing to help unless I pay. I know I have 90 days free support, but I always get transferred to a person that knows less than I do. I have always received better advice from message boards like this.

Has anyone else have an error code 100 when trying to update installed programs? I even tried to download a program from the app store, and then download a song just to test it and the error popped up on both the APP Store, and I-tunes. This is really disgusting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would rather have all my teeth pulled without Novocain instead of contacting Apple again.

Thanks in advance.

#14 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Have you registered your AppleCare yet?

#15 ras1usa

ras1usa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yes, and they keep telling me it is for hardware issues only.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users