Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i didn't save my work, can i recover it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vcalemine

vcalemine

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

Chalk this up to being someone who never uses excel. I have excel 2007. I was trying to save the file when it mentioned something about a fidelity issue. I clicked "open in a new page", thinking it was going to open another copy of the spreadsheet. Well once it was open, it was just an excel file of the same fidelity issue warning. I clicked close and it asked if I wanted to save it and I said "no" not realizing it was talking about my work also.

I tried to look this up, I can't possible have been the first idiot to do this. I haven't done anything to the computer. I haven't opened excel again. I haven't made any changes to anything except doing a quick search on the internet and a search on here. It's been an awful week and this is just the icing on the cake.

Please help. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm afraid your week just became "more awful" since there is no way to retrieve your work because there is nothing to retrieve. It may be a pain sometimes, but turning on "auto save" on a worksheet prevents the loss of lots of data.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 vcalemine

vcalemine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

Under excel options, it says save autorecover information every 10 minutes. It is checked on. I went to the auto recover folder listed in excel options also but there was nothing there. Is auto save different than auto recover. If so how do I turn on auto save. I ended up just retyping the stupid thing

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

Automatically save and recover Office files

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,049 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

Autorecover comes into play when your office document unexpectedly closes - as in a computer crash. Office will then use the autorecover feature for you to retrieve the document as it was shortly before the crash. I don't know where it's pulled from. That has saved my hide a time or two, but didn't when Dad hit something on the keyboard once which immediately closed my office program and I lost 3 pages of new data as a consequence. Autorecover didn't come into play on that occasion.

Autosave means that the document is automatically saved to the actual document file location. That would have saved my hide in the situation I just described.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users