Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking suggestions for a good temperature/fan speed monitor program...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Good evening everyone,

I am looking for recommendations on a decent temperature/fan speed monitoring program to use, preferably with the following attributes:

1. Ease of use (user-friendly interface & simple-to-understand instructions).
2. Free software (preferred, but will consider a paid program - if not expensive).
3. * A program which has a low probability of causing any damage to, or significant problems with my computer.

Also, it doesn't matter if the application has the ability to change the fan speed. I intend to leave that the way it currently is set.

* The reason for question # 3 is because the info I read about one particular program had a disclaimer stating the provider "could not be held responsible if their software caused any damage or other computer problems."

Thank you for your time and any suggestions! :busy:

Regards,

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hi

I've used a lot of different ones but lately I've been using Open Hardware Monitor the most.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

My main reason is because I have not encountered a sensor that it does not detect. On the many different machines that I have had to detect fans, temps and voltages on it has worked well for me so far.

James

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks very much for the recommendation, James! :thumbsup:

I did try one program, however, for some reason it only displayed one temperature reading...no fan speeds or any of the other items it was supposed to display. I'll check out the one you've mentioned and see if it provides what I'm looking for.

EDIT: I noticed on the website, it shows ALL versions of the software have been BETA versions. Does this mean they never release a final/finshed version?

EDIT # 2: I installed the program. It displays the hard drive temperature and a couple of other items, but no fan speed is shown.

Best regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 23 March 2012 - 08:17 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Don't have any answers for your questions about the previous recommendation by NeverSayDie. But this is an app that has been around for a long time and I've recommended before.

SpeedFan by Alfredo Milani Comparetti

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I appreciate the feedback, Animal!

Ironically...Speedfan was the very application I was referring to in my OP about having that disclaimer.

I'll give it a try to see how it works. :thumbup2:

Best regards!

spc3rd

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

With the ability to control fan speeds I am not surprised at the disclaimer. I can just imagine somewhere some person decides to see how 'quiet' he can get his or her fans and toasts his/her cpu and tries to blame the software or developer. A software developer with any semblance of legal knowledge will protect themselves from dangerous neophytes or unscrupulous users.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

You're right on target...especially about the massive numbers of unscrupulous people out there! :thumbsup:

spc3rd

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Have you checked out http://www.moo0.com/software/SystemMonitor/
Free, and highly customizable.
I use the portable version.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for the info, tg1911.

I've decided to forego any monitoring program. I've discovered that the last program I tried, SpeedFan, not only corrupted the existing Speccy program I had, but after I removed the old Speccy program and downloaded it again from Piriform, I am still getting the same errors again. It reads, "Cannot initialize SPC.dll."

I have no idea what that SpeedFan program has done to my computer, and now need help in ascertaining how to remedy this situation. (I've already done scans with my AV & MBAM just to make certain there was not some malware downloaded; scans were clean).

I removed the old Speccy program via the Add/Remove Programs function, but when I went in and tried to delete the Speccy folder in the Program Files area, it generated 1 message asking if I was sure I wanted to remove the folder as doing so might cause other programs not to function properly & I clicked <CONTINUE>. I next got an "Access Denied" error message.

Any ideas on how to resolve this mess or do I need to go and post a new topic about it? :blink:

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 24 March 2012 - 12:35 AM.

spc3rd

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

I would suggest contacting Piriform and advising them of the issue. See if they are aware that speedfan installs breaks their app.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=22

I would start with Speccy Bug Reporting topic.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 spc3rd

spc3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

O.k...I appreciate the additional info, Animal!

Best regards,

spc3rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users