Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does anybody here remember the commodore 64 computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 funkypigeon

funkypigeon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Just wondering if anybody here remembers the old Commodore 64 with the cassette tape games and cartridges. I used to love playing that as a kid in the 80s. There used be a game on it called Flimbos Quest, would spend hours on it :)It was a pretty cool machine, obviously nothing like computers today, but for its time was really good. I would actually play games on it if i could find one .

No internet on it or anything, ive only been using the internet a few years. It was just a fun computer with cassette games that had to load and took a few minutes to load :-D and some models had cartridges.

Graphics wise, the football games had square footballs and about 4 colours but good fun. It was my second machine after the Atari 7800
Good fun

Do you remember the commodore? do you have still have one ?

Edited by funkypigeon, 23 March 2012 - 04:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

Ah! Those accurate, but extremely slow tape drives; they came out with a disk drive (5 and 1/2 inche disks) that seemed miraculous. I learned my first computer programme on the Vic and the 64---MS Basic. Peeks and Pokes. I still have a Vic20 and a Commodore, along with some of the tapes and games, carefully stored away.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 funkypigeon

funkypigeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

Ah! Those accurate, but extremely slow tape drives; they came out with a disk drive (5 and 1/2 inche disks) that seemed miraculous. I learned my first computer programme on the Vic and the 64---MS Basic. Peeks and Pokes. I still have a Vic20 and a Commodore, along with some of the tapes and games, carefully stored away.

Hi jgweed.I used love it only for the games, even waiting minutes for them to load, rewind etc was worth it. With all the advancements in gaming today though, i wonder if patience would be as strong while waiting for the tape to load ? :-)

Thats great that you still have one. I sold mine years ago. WOuld love to get one again and play it, along with some other old computers, consoles .

Random game from the c64 came into my head just now, it was called Shadow Dancer !! i used enjoy that too.

#4 Alumar

Alumar

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

I don't remember :crazy: I know I'm old enough to know but I just don't remeber.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Everything old is new again. :wink:

The New Commodore 64, Updated With Its Old Exterior

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

I never had the pleasure of using a Commodore 64 but I vaguely remember the Christmas when my older brother got a Spectrum 48k.

My Dad sat for two days programing it to make a little man run around the TV screen while playing bleeping music.
I was too young to understand it but I soon got the hang of playing Manic Miner and Jetset Willy.
Often, the talk in the playground was, "Mine's better than yours". When arguing over the C64 and the Spectrum.

I still have the Spectrum 48k and the Spectrum 128+ somewhere in my parents loft, along with all the games, two joysticks and the monthly Input magazines that were available at the time.

Little did we know just how popular computers would become.

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

I loved the C=64! Did some (relatively) serious programming with it. I did some fun stuff in BASIC and assembly language. I also hacked photocells into a set of game paddles and graphed changes in light levels, etc.

I still have my VIC-20, and a crate of ROM cartridges. I'm going to hold onto them until they're worth something!

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I remember. Kim. Then PET 8K, 32K. Then Commodore64. Learned machine lanaguage/assembly on the 6502 chips. Great computers.

#9 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Started off with the Vic 20 in 1983 after saving up for two months from my cooking job at a truckstop after the USMC and then replaced that about a year or so later with a C64. Used to have the speech synthesizer and pen light tools but alas they've all disappeared.
Started off with the horrendous cassette tape drive after about 6 months of losing every program by shutting the computer off. About 8 months later I finally saved up enough for the whopping 5.25" drive and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Did some accidental BBS hacks with my 1200 baud modem and then lost it all in a divorce grrrr. Fast forward about 28 years later and I've replace my C64 and 5.25" floppy drive along with the datasette and a few games and of course the ever necessary Epyx FastLoad cartridge :).
I also remember hearing a few months ago I believe that Jack Tramiel died :(. I so wanted to get him to sign my copy of "On The Edge". While he may have been an unforgiving and ruthless businessman at some points in his life, he still helped to usher in the computer age to the masses to the tune of record breaking sales numbers (despite Apples lies) for the early Commodore Computers which to this day have not and will probably not ever be broken! I only lived about 40-60 miles south of West Chester, PA near their East Coast Commodore assembly and factory site. I wish I would have known when they were closing up as it is still to this day my all-time favorite computer.
My hat is off to EVERY Commodore employee for you were all the true Revolutionaries in my book. Thank you so much!!!!!

Edited by sh4rkbyt3, 03 July 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

Well -
I still have mine in the original box, stored in my garage cupboards -

#11 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

It was the first computer I ever seen. I remember sticking those gigantic floppy disks in the add-on floppy drive, as a kid. Boy theose floppy disks actually were floppy LOL
I remember my uncle had two disk drives, one 5 1/4-inch (I believe built into the computer) and one 8 inch.
Then I got an Amiga 500 for my 12th birthday, it came with a 3 1⁄2-inch floppy drive built into the the computer.
Oh and I remember there were games for the commodore that had to be played on a tape drive LOL

What's funny is, my huuuuge game collection, boxes of floppy disks, and yet I bet all those games could easily fit on a $10 USB stick LOL

Come to think of it, I am pretty sure if you went back to 1987, you could take every game, every program there ever was on the planet, and stick it on a $90 2TB HDD today.

#12 Bill 0

Bill 0

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Ahhh yes. That was the first computer I ever owned . . .

The local community college had kids activities on Saturdays, and my parents signed me up to the computer course -- that's where I got exposed to the PET. That was probably around 5th or 6th grade. Around 7th or 8th grade was when the C-64 came out and I bugged my parents into getting me one for my birthday. Fond memories of keeping Jumpman away from those floating bullets are coming back (along with memories of typing programs in out of Compute!).

Anyone also remember the 1541 disk drive? The local C-64 users group recommended adding an aftermarket heat sink to it -- boy did that get warm.

Bill

#13 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

An older sibling had one I think. And Atari. I remember playing Q-bert, Donkey Kong Jr. and some game with Ladybugs in it. I was littler then when I first started using a PC.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#14 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Bill 0, you can simply add an 80mm fan to the top to pull out air or to blow into the drive without having to alter the integrity of the drives container. Some of the earlier ones did get pretty hot but I had at least one later one that actually ran somewhat cool. I also remember my first 1571 drive which had the double side read built into it and ran much cooler. Seemed to run faster also?

#15 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:44 AM

I love my C64!!

Anyone else who does also check out this site!

http://www.lemon64.com/forum

Edited by 4dude, 13 July 2012 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users