Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real-time won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RebeccaTX

RebeccaTX

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials tells me my Real-time protection is Off and prompts me to "Turn On". When I try, I get a message saying the attempt has "timed out". Error code is: 0x800705b4. It's doing this every time I try and retry.

How do I correct the problem? (Clicking on the "help" button was not helpful.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

What operating system? Service pack? Prior Security Software? If any, how did you/did you uninstall? Did the computer come with any trial offer AV's preinstalled (like Norton or McAfee) & if so how did you/did you uninstall them? Any other security software still installed? You may have conflicting security software installed fully or partially on the PC. Remove all other security software from the PC.

You may need to use a cleanup tool to remove your prior security software:

Check list for installing Microsoft Security Essentials
Common issues that can affect MSE

Most issues with MSE installation and performance can be corrected by following the steps below:

• Verify that you have removed all other real-time anti-malware products that were ever installed on your PC, including any free/trial products that were installed when the PC was purchased (Norton, McAfee, TM, AVG, Malwarebytes (paid), etc.). Then, use the cleanup tools here: List of anti-malware program cleanup/uninstall tools
  • If you have installed Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, or any other "free" product, you may have been presented with the option to install a "free virus checker", which is selected by default. If you were caught by this, and unknowingly/accidently installed this "free virus checker", uninstall it and use the cleanup tool(s) in the list above. Note that these "free" downloads can also occur in products purchased by you. Your ISP may also provide an anti-malware product (and perhaps a firewall). Install these products ONLY if you do not intend to use MSE and/or the Windows Firewall.
  • Verify that your PC clock is correctly set. If not, correct it.
  • Verify that Windows Defender is disabled (if Windows 7/Vista), or uninstalled (if XP),
  • Verify that you are up-to-date with the latest Service Pack and updates (including .NET). Yes, it can take some time to do this.
  • Verify that the Windows Firewall is on, and set to defaults.
  • Verify that you are using current version of MSE. Open MSE and click on the "down pointer" to the right of "Help". Then, click on "About Security Essentials". Provide this information when asking a question in the MSE Answers Forum.
  • Remove ZoneAlarm firewall if you have it and use the Windows Firewall.
  • Verify that you are not using a proxy server. If you are using a proxy, configure it as per the instructions later in this FAQ.
  • Verify that you have "install updates automatically" selected in Windows Update (even though the MSE definition updates are optional).
  • In Internet Explorer, reset all security zones to default level.

Then, restart your PC.

You may need to remove and reinstall MSE as well.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Union_Thug, 23 March 2012 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users