Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmillz

jmillz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Mod Edit: Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

hello,
I would like to start off by saying i have built a few computers and i know how to put parts together ans such. However this has stumped me. A friend of mine was having a get together and we were gonna play some games he told me to bring my computer he lives just a house away so i carried it over set it down plugged it in and turned it on, well attempted to. The computer turned on but no screen appeared on the monitor just a black screen blank. There was no loading screen it didnt even boot. My first thought was the monitor because it was fairly old so i plugged it into my friends and same screen appeared. So now i was getting worried, my second thought was my video card. This was maybe a month old, i just bought a new one and i was thinking something went wrong with it, so i brought my computer home and put in my older video card and the same thing happened. I then took everything out of the computer and put in the basics, motherboard, one stick of ram, cpu, power supply, and hard drive. This happened about two months ago and ince i have pretty much given up hope but recently i stumbled upon it again and i would love to get this computer going again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 is currently installed on my computer

here are the parts that i have currently installed
-MOBO-GIGABYTE GA-K8N Ultra SLI
-CPU-AMD ATHLON 64 the number reads ADA3500DIK4BI
-RAM-KVR400X64L3A/1G (x2)
-HARDRIVE-Quantum Fireball QML20000LOA lct 15 series
-CDROM-AOpen DUW1616/ARR
-VIDCARD-HIS IceQ
-PSU-Mapower PX400C which seems ancient since i cant find a google search on it. Its got a 400 watt output

Yesterday i tried turning it on just for the heck of it and it turned on for about 5 seconds then it shuts off, i was thinking then it would be the power supply so i tried 3 different supplies all to the same effect except some of them turned off in a shorter time period. I tried a different hard drive, different RAM different Video Card i even tried it on an older mobo with no luck. On one occasion with a different mobo it stayed on however nothing showed up again on the monitor. Here are other parts i have that i can try
-MOBOS-GIGABYTE GA-7VKMP the CPU that goes along with this is an AMD ATHLON 64 AXMJ2800M and is a socket 452
-MOBO #2-GIGABYTE GA-K8VM800M the CPU with it is AMD ATHLON 64 ADA3000AEP4AX socket 752
-RAM-Gskill F1-3200PHU1 and DRAMMASTER pc2100 DRR266 (x2) and BRAVO 512mb DDR DIMM PO123001
-VIDCARDS-RADEON VisionTek X1300XGE and GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D and nVIDIA Geforce2
-HARDRIVES-40G AT MAXTOR D740X-GL 3.5" series and DIAMONDMAX VL MAXTOR 32049H2

I also have two other PSU and four other CDROMS

Also something to note is when i looked at my CPU up close i saw one of the pins is broken clear off, although it has been like that before i took it out could that be effecting it?
I think i have narrowed it down to the mobo or the CPU but any advice or help like a said would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 23 March 2012 - 03:33 PM.
Mod Edit: Split To Own Topic - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:42 AM

Depends on what pin is missing have a look HERE on page 86 is the pinout the rest of the book has all the pin descriptions. If It's a ground pin you may be ok. However with the problems your having I would say It's bad.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

its pin C29 im not sure how to tell what that does however.

#4 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

saya C29-MEMADDB [9]

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

I used the search function in Adobe Reader and found MEMADDB[9] C29 Which is the AMD on board memory controller. Its Toast :rip:
From the PDF
DRAM Column/Row Address. Two copies are provided to accommodate the loading of unbuffered DIMMs. During precharges, activates, reads, and writes, the two copies
are inverted from each other (except A[10] which is used for auto-precharge) to
minimize switching noise. The signals are inverted only when the bus is used to carry
address information.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#6 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

thanks so much for the help it is appreciated maybe ill just pick up a new cpu

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Your welcome, sorry for the bad news. Be care full with the new processor :busy:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

It is possible that the broken piece of the pin was in there and was making enough contact to the CPU until you moved it to take it to your friends house.

If you replace it make sure that you turn the motherboard over (maybe over a clean piece of paper so you can see if anything falls out) in case the broken piece is still in the CPU socket. That could cause problems when you put a new CPU in it if it is still in there.

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 30 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#9 jmillz

jmillz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thank you James, i appreciate it that's a good point, wouldn't it just short out if it wasn't fully connected though? These are good thoughts thank you all, i believe the computer will still be in use so these are helpful :lol:
-Josiah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users