Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me access files on my network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 radxx

radxx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

Originally Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hi there guys!

Got a problem with sharing files between my networked laptop using Win7 and my PC using Vista Prem. Business.
The router is wired to the PC.
The laptop has been using the PC\router internet connection for about 12 months.
Both laptop and PC are ALWAYS visible to each other under network connections window.
And the laptop can play music stored in a NON-Public folder on my PC via WMP.
However my problem is that neither computer can access any files on any drives! I get a warning about permissions (all have been set to Full access), contacting server administrator for access.
All drives and subfolders have sharing enabled, p\w protected sharing is off etc. They have the same home/workgroup name and are both connected to the network with the correctly-spelled name.

I seem to be trying the same advice over and over again to no avail!
Network sharing wizard was no help either!
I successfully complete all advice given but no changes happen!
Google searches are too vague to get decent results worth trying.
It's all quite frustrating
Any ideas??

J

Edited by radxx, 23 March 2012 - 03:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

I will post some options when I get in my office tomorrow. I'm on mobile at the moment.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

That'd be great, thank you!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Long day :wink: First I am going to ask allot of the same questions you have already read about. I need these answers to verify what settings are set and see why you are unable to access the other computer.

On the Windows 7 machine we need to set up a few things in Advanced Sharing Settings. First type Network and Sharing into the search box in the Start Menu and hit Enter.

Now in Advanced Sharing Settings, make sure to turn on network discovery, file and printer sharing, and public folder sharing. Make sure these are enabled in both the Home, work and not Public profiles.

Next in the Network and Sharing window verify the connected network is Identified as a Home Network

Also List ALL network connections. There may be more than one. For instance if you have VMware installed

On the Vista machine we need to double check and make sure it's sharing settings are ready to go. Right-click on Network and choose Properties.

The Network and Sharing Center opens up. Under Sharing and Discovery we need to turn on File Sharing, Public Folder Sharing, and Network Discovery.

Also on the Vista machine you want to turn off password protected sharing.

Share Files Vista View

Now on the Vista computer, double click on Network and you should see the Windows 7 machine

Double click on the Windows 7 Computer and you should see any Folders that are shared.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 24 March 2012 - 07:39 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users