Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro installation question...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I have a dual boot system with Win XP Pro (32 bit) on one SATA HDD and Win 7 Pro (64 bit) on an SSD drive. I've really become enamoured of the lightning fast boot and response speeds exhibited on the the SSD and I was thinking about getting another SSD and cloning the XP Pro on the HDD and transferring it to the SSD. The thing is my HDD is the product of several years of tinkering and tweaking the other programs that are resident on the same drive as my XP Pro installation. I was wondering if I cloned only the Win XP folder (Windows system folder) from the HDD and placed it on the new SSD would it still be able to open the programs on the HDD since they were installed in XP Pro to begin with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:43 AM

The programs would look for their registry entries on the original drive. Since you'd still have XP installed on the old drive, that's where the programs would run. I'm not quite sure what the purpose is of messing with anything. Faster boot time? Sorry, I don't get the importance of that.

Edited by Allan, 23 March 2012 - 08:46 AM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

and im quite sure that if it did work, that the response time of opening/running the programs on the old drive would suffer greatly and defeat the purpose on buying the ssd

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

Allan yes actually the reason was for the faster boot time on XP Pro. Win 7's boot speeds on the SSD have spoiled me and it didn't take long to do it.

caperjac I realise that the programs would open from the original drive with the typical speeds but once they load into RAM they run quickly enough.

So it would be okay to do this then I take it?

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

So it would be okay to do this then I take it?

i think it will become necessary to reinstall all the programs for it to work[to fix the registry problems it will create ] the way you plan to move the Windows system folder ,

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

caperjac I realise that the programs would open from the original drive with the typical speeds but once they load into RAM they run quickly enough.

but ,i think you will loose the time gained on the quick boot ,and the money spent on the SSD drive will have been wasted

#7 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Okay then I think I will scratch that idea then. Many thanks.

All right here's another question...would it be possible to clone the Windows system folder and the programs folder from the original C drive and place them on the new SSD and have everything work properly?

Edited by mjl1297, 25 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

just to be safe aND SURE ,JUST REINSTALL WINXP AND THE PROGRAMS YOU WANT TO USE ,A CLEAN FRESH INSTALL IS ALWAYS BEST ANYWAY ,sorry for the caps ,to lazy to retype it all

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

All right here's another question...would it be possible to clone the Windows system folder and the programs folder from the original C drive and place them on the new SSD and have everything work properly?

For what purpose? Again, the programs will run from the original drive.

#10 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

No problem caperjac.

Allan why would they run from the original hard drive if I started them up from the SSD?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

<<Allan why would they run from the original hard drive if I started them up from the SSD?>>

You have two O/Ses installed on two different drives.

When you boot...you should be presented with a dual-boot option screen...governed by the Win 7 boot files.

Tou seem to think that having the O/Ses on different drives...is some type of bottleneck and that XP will boot "faster" if you install it on the SSD.

Whether that is true or not...or whether it's significant enough to toy with the idea of moving the XP install to the SSD...is undetermined.

In any case, if you want to move the XP install to the SSD, I suspect that the preferred method involves:

a. Wiping the SSD and either installing XP first...then adding Win 7.

b. Wiping the SSD and then cloning the XP install to the SSD...then reinstalling Win 7.

c. Various combinations of the above which result in multiple cloning efforts to an additional hard drive.

There are various complications which arise from installing XP after Win 7...which is what you would be doing if you simply clone the XP install partition to the SSD. I don't know if cloning XP to the SSD will allow both O/Ses to be properly recognized and functional...I think that it might but I cannot truly say. The Win 7 bootloader files would be fully retained on each O/S via cloning and those are the key files I would be concerned with.

If either O/S is recognized at boot (after such operations)...and the cloning is successful...you could always use EasyBCD to then recognize the other O/S and reset the boot files.

Seems like an awful lot of ifs and questionable manipulations...for the stated desired result, IMO.

IMO, any effort to do anything other than clean installs or cloning entire partitions...is just dreaming that it will work properly.

Louis

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

No problem caperjac.

Allan why would they run from the original hard drive if I started them up from the SSD?

A I mentioned above, when you installed the programs they wrote entries to the registry (or, depending on the program in question, other files utilized by the program). Those entries included the location to which the programs and, if relevant, their data files are located. When you try to start the programs they will look to those entries and run from those locations.

Edited by Allan, 26 March 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#13 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

Allan that's sort of what I figured you would say. Ah well I may end up tweaking reinstalls if I go this route.

Louis I know for a fact bootup time is significantly reduced on the SSD for Win XP. I never thought the OSs being on separate drives was a bottleneck, the HDD is simply slower on the bootup.

Thanks everyone for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users