Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msi x340 laptop cannot turn on, please help!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ariannemarksman

ariannemarksman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

I was using it the day before this happened, at maybe midnight, and everything seemed to be working fine. I turned off my computer, unplugged the cord, and there still seemed to be something running in the computer, even though the lights had gone off and it seemed to have powered down normally. I thought it was probably the fan or something, so I ignored it.

Then, the next day at about ten in the evening, I came home and tried to turn on the computer, and nothing happened. The power cord was plugged in, but none of the lights came on. I tried unplugging the power and just using the battery; holding down the power button for more than ten seconds (sort of wiggling my finger around in case something was wrong with the conection); taking out the battery and just using the power cord...nothing worked. The computer just stayed unlit and un-working.

I can hear the power current in the adaptor when I plug it into the wall, so it doesn't seem like anything's wrong there. The thing is, when I only use the power cord (no battery) and press the "on" button on the laptop, I can hear a sort of different power current sound in the adaptor. Not sure if that means anything?

I put the laptop away for a couple of days, and then today I tried using it again, and this time when I plug in the power cord and put the battery in, the battery charging light comes on (I assume this means for sure that there is nothing wrong with the battery or the power cord?), but the computer still cannot be turned on.

I've had this laptop for two years, and my warranty has expired, so I'm not sure if it's worth taking it in to be fixed? I'm guessing the most likely problem is with the motherboard, which would kind of cost a lot to replace?

Could it possibly be some other problem I haven't considered? Hopefully something that is fixable at low cost? Would my files and stuff be damaged?

Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,495 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hello :welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

First off can you please post your system specs. :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 ariannemarksman

ariannemarksman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

Um, it's a msi x340 laptop, and it runs on win7 (32 bit, I think)...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Easy way to obtain/post system info:

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have seen not turning on cause by many things in a laptop.

1. Bad memory
2. Almost anything attached to the motherboard.

I've seen a laptop that would not turn on after the keyboard went bad. (twice, same laptop)
I've seen a Toshiba that had a sub panel that held multimedia buttons and lights that kept the laptop from turning on. The owner decided he could live without that feature, so I left it unhooked for him.
Physically damaged USB ports, Unplugging / unshorting them and it worked.
Wire to the webcam developed a short, unplugging it and working.
I've seen desktop drives keep a desktop from working too.

Sooner or later I expect to see a bad modem/wireless/bluetooth/touchpad problem cause a no power on condition too.

Easiest to test is pull one memory and test, if no luck try swapping them and test.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 March 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users