Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sfc/ Scannow And A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

is there a way to run this on a laptop that only has a CD drive,as it asks for a floopy

obliged
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:00 AM

Have you tried it? It may ask you for your XP CD if it need files but it should run from the Command line just fine.

Start>Run>cmd>sfc /scannow
or the command line in safe mode.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Thanks acklan,no I will tho' and see. Read the instructions and saw it required a floppy. Will post back.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:37 PM

Ok ,when I ran it it said it needs to copy dll files from the XP CD ( btw the lap is XPPro SP2) pleat the CD. Unforunately the Lap come w/Installed version. when I insert the disc Toshiba gives it says ihe wrong CD. It also doesn't say which dll's it wants.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

Does it give you the chance to Browse and select a folder? If so point it to c\:windows\system32\cabroot\.
I have not had to do this in a while and I not at home so I'm not 100% on the folder, but I think this is it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

No there is no browsing the cd. It pops up with 2 choices.
1 Install applications and drivers

Allows you to select one or more applications and drivers to install from the CD. You may want to use this option to install an application that has been uninstalled, reinstall software that is not operating correctly or add software from the CD that was not part of the default preinstall.

No files will be deleted. OR

2 Restore the original system install

Restores all default software, drivers and settings. The hard disk is partitioned and formatted and the original default preinstall is restored.

ALL FILES WILL BE DELETED!

One more note: 2 message boxes pop up.....

1.Windows File Protection( not responding).....it says..
Files that are required ... must be copied to the DLL Casche
Insert XP pro CD

Retry : does nothing
More info: gives second box
It says
2. possible reason for problem
* inserted wrong CD (only Cd I have), eg a diff Windows product CD than the version installed
* the CD drive is not functioning...this is not the case
thanx

I have cabroot and a cabroot2 folders in that directory on the hard drive . I looked to see what was there.
I've read somewhere that anI386 folder may be an image of the XP install or something like that. Just thinkuing out loud a moment.

Edited by boopme, 21 February 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

The CD you put in is not a Win XP cd but rather the manufacturer's restore cd.

You need to find the cabs which should be stored on your hard drive in that case which should be in the file aclan posted..

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,078 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Thanx Enthusiast Yes that is the CD type and I can find 2 sets of cabroot files on the HDD.
Problem I have is the Windows file protection is asking for DLL's on the CD. Doesn't say which DLL's or offer a path to put them. In other words it wants to copy,some unspecified DLL to an unspecified DLL cache. I would agree that the folder suggested is correct. I don't know what belongs there or is missing.
Another thought: I have a full CD of XPPro that I used on my desktop build. Will the laptop read that or will it cause problems?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:14 PM

It should read it. All it will do is copy system files that are missing or corrupt and the CD you have should be exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users