Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to connect one wireless router to another...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 punyn00b

punyn00b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

Hello. I've posted on a couple of different tech forums with this issue, but nobody seems to be able to give me a good answer to my question so I thought I'd see if anybody at Bleeping Computer could give me one.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is connect one wireless router to my main modem/router through bridge mode and hard wire a couple of computers to my bridged router using the 4 port ethernet switch on the back of the router. I'm having trouble getting the routers to talk to each other. The access point that I use to connect to the internet is an AT&T 2wire modem/router combo and the router I'm trying to put in bridge mode is a Belkin F5D7231-4. I've done a bit of Googling and it's a little confusing. Tried looking for the DD-WRT firmware but don't really know what I need or where to find it, what to do with it once I get it, or why I even need it for that matter. When I go into the Belkin settings it has options on board to put it bridge mode. I've turned on bridge mode on the Belkin, but really don't know what else I need to do after that. I'm sure it's something to do with IP addressing, changing subnets, etc... but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Can somebody help me out? Again, just trying to connect the Belkin router wirelessly to the access point and hard wire a couple of machines to it using the ethernet ports. My research leads me to believe that this is possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Users with the same combo modem/router model have discussed the problem in this thread.

Tekken

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

In the type of setup you are trying to do bridging is only useful for extending the distance of a network. The 2wire is designed to be connected directly to a switch and it will supply addresses that way. Try plugging the 2wire directly into one of the LAN ports on the other router. Other appliances plugged into the router should connect up as they are supposed to at this point.

In order for the bridged mode to work you probably will need to turn off the routers built in DHCP server. Also possible is the need to set the routers WAN IP settings to DHCP instead of static, disable NAT, and the firewall.

Personally what I tend to do with modem\routers like this is to log on to it. I set the modem\router to bridge mode and then connect my router so it recieves the IP from my ISP. This way I am in control of my local network. You can find out how to log on to the modem\router with an google search.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

What is the model number for the 2wire modem/router?

Edit: so far my research has pointed to using the Belkin router as your access point and the 2-wire as the bridge. If It's set up as you have described to you will have allot of conflicts. We will run through the setups and see what options are available. I have ddwrt on my router if need be we can see about loading that on your router. It will void any and all warranties though.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 23 March 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

What is the Exact model number of the 2-wire modem?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users