Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 101AB

101AB

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

I have not been able to get safe mode to open by tapping the F8 key when my computer starts for some time now.
I have a need to start in safe mode (Kaspersky Password Manager Fix)
Can anyone help with this F8 issue.
Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:23 AM

How about the Delete key?

Tekken

#3 101AB

101AB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have tried the delete key, also F1, F2, F11
I can't get into Safe mode!

I know about typing msconfig in search or run and then selecting boot ini", and then boot option " safe boot" but I have also heard stories about some going this route and are then unable to get out of "safe boot"
How can I get assistance with problem could it be malware or a virus?
It has been 6 months or more since I have seen the Dell logo come up on the screen upon start up.
Thanks

#4 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi 101AB,

Until jhayz can return to follow up with you, may I ask if you have tried running scans with your AV and an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes...to potentially rule out an infection, and if so, what were the results?

Also, would you please be so kind as to provide the following additional info which will enable jhayz to better assist you:

1. Your computer name (brand/model).
2. Which OS and service pack are you using?
3. What security software products are presently being used?
4. Brand name of the keyboard being used and what type of plug does it have (e.g. PS2, USB, etc)?
5. Any other problems, such as, computer running slower than usual, Internet pages loading slowly, or recent changes/software additions made?
6. Would you check the Event Viewer logs and see if any errors are shown, if so, what are they?

Regards,

Edited by spc3rd, 23 March 2012 - 07:47 PM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#5 101AB

101AB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Dell 8300 Dimension .. Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) .. 32 bit

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 .. 1536 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Bus Clock: 800 megahertz .. BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A07 09/27/2004

160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity .. 119.13 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio .. Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

HID Keyboard Device .. Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard
HID-compliant mouse .. Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse

All required security hotfixes (using the 03/13/2012 Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary) have been installed.
Hotfixes from Microsoft Update (agent version 7.4.7600.226) install automatically. Last install: 3/14/2012 3:18:24 AM, download: 3/14/2012 2:39:13 AM, check: 3/23/2012 7:00:14 PM.

Kaspersky Internet Security Version 12.0.0.374 .. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 1.60.0061

SpyBot Search and Destroy

No new problems, it has been 4 months or more since I remember the Dell logo or audio showing up at start up.

It runs great in FireFox and slow in IE

Event Viewer Application logs

I see several application hang errors (cat 101 events 1001-1002) .. the first one occurred on 10/18/11

Event Viewer System logs

I see some service control manager and some Dhcp errors

#6 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

This fix should repair the registry keys responsible for booting into Safe Mode.

Windows XP safeboot repair

You may note that this guide is for XP SP2, rest assured it will also work for SP3.

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

101AB, I received an email from you. Please keep all posts in the thread so other helpers can see your replies.

Hi Mark,
I checked out that link you posted in BC forum about helping me out with my inability to start in safe mode.
Is there anything in your opinion that could go wrong by installing this registry export file?
What if my safe boot keys are still there, will installing this cause issues?
Do you know of a way to backup what I have before installing it to insure that I don't lose my pc's ability to function correctly?
I am a bit paranoid at present because of many reason's, lack of funds being the prevalent one : )
Thanks, for your help,
John

I understand your concerns. This registry fix will only repair/replace the registry keys that control the boot process for safe mode. As long as you create a Restore Point before applying the fix and you have the XP disc or a ARCDC Tool disc you have little to worry about. Give the fix a go and see what happens.

Mod Edit: Changed name of linked to reflect reality and avoid misunderstanding. The tool is NOT the Windows XP Recovery Console, it's a different tool intended to facilitate legal use/access to tools which are a legal replacement for those who desire/require access to assistance formerly available only in Hicrosoft's XP Reocvery Console ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#8 101AB

101AB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

I don't have an XP disc and that Windows XP recovery console
hmmmmm, not sure if I am comfortable going there, it doesn't make much sense to me.
Do you think that as long as I can create a Restore Point before applying the fix that I will be reasonably safe?
Thanks

#9 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

I have tried the delete key, also F1, F2, F11
I can't get into Safe mode!

I know about typing msconfig in search or run and then selecting boot ini", and then boot option " safe boot" but I have also heard stories about some going this route and are then unable to get out of "safe boot"
How can I get assistance with problem could it be malware or a virus?
It has been 6 months or more since I have seen the Dell logo come up on the screen upon start up.
Thanks

if something went wron and all you could do was go to safe mode ,you would/should be able to simply go to msconfg again and revers the setting

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#10 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I always try to make sure anyone I help is prepared incase something goes wrong. The link for the ARCDC tool is used on many forums, completely legal and safe. If something did go wrong then this disc is an easy way out of trouble as you can use it to get to the Recovery Console and then use System Restore, without that disc (and as you do not have a retail XP disc)it might be more difficult.

The registry fix, as I said before, only repairs/replaces the damaged registry keys that are needed to allow booting into safe mode, it will not change anything else.

My only concern with this, is why those registry keys have been damaged. The most common cause is a virus but there are always other possibilities including a failing or corrupted hard drive, although that would seem unlikely as you are not reporting any other problems.

Get the ARCDC disc burned following the instructions in the link and then apply the registry fix and let us know how it goes.

One last thing you should do, as a precaution, is to back up all your important data to an external drive CD/DVD's or flash drive.

Mod Edit: Corrected reference to ARCDC ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 25 March 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I would not follow what Caperjac has suggested. I have seen this before when the safeboot keys have been damaged. If you set the boot in msconfig to go to Safe mode you will not be able to boot back into Normal mode to change the settings back. This could easily result in you being frozen out of the PC.

You already know that the PC will not boot into Safe mode so if you set msconfig to only boot in safe mode it is highly unlikely it will boot at all.

Best go the route I have suggested which is far safer.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Admin note; The ARCDC tool is available as a substitute for...the XP Recovery Console. It is not the same thing, since downloads of the XP Reovery Console (which is property of Microsoft)...has been forbidden by Micrsoft.

The tool allows users to create their own version of the tool and is intended to facilitate access to the tools which exist within the XP Reocvery Console which otherwise are not available to system users.

For more background, see http://artellos.com/arcdc-page and Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE-BartPE - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic382841.html.

Louis

#13 101AB

101AB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Mark,
You have made reference to "If something did go wrong then this disc is an easy way out of trouble as you can use it to get to the Recovery Console and then use System Restore"
Just wanted to let you know that I have not been able to use System Restore for a long time as well.
Also, I just recalled that ctr/alt/delete has not been functioning for about the same amount of time.
I apologize for omitting this info earlier, I have been through some heavy surgery since Sept and recovery has been long and sometimes details like this are not available.
John

#14 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Ok John, not a problem.

Sounds like there may be more damage to your system files than just the safeboot keys. Were you aware at any point since these problems began that you had a virus infection? We now have two symptoms that can be caused by an infection, safeboot key damage and System Restore. Have you noticed if there is any problem with getting Windows Updates.

Has your PC got a Recovery partition and can you get access to it, I only ask this as it may be a last resort to do a re-install.

Try running the System File Checker, but if it asks for the XP disc you will obviously have to abort.

Run the system file checker as follows.
Click on Start > Run > Type cmd in the Run box and hit Enter. At the Command Prompt type sfc /scannow (you must include the space before the /) and hit Enter. Let the process run to completion. Watch to see if it reports anything at the end of the scan.

Edited by mark1956, 25 March 2012 - 11:01 AM.

#15 101AB

101AB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

Were you aware at any point since these problems began that you had a virus infection? NO
Have you noticed if there is any problem with getting Windows Updates. NO
Has your PC got a Recovery partition? I don't know, how can I check?
Try running the System File Checker, but if it asks for the XP disc you will obviously have to abort. See Attached
Watch to see if it reports anything at the end of the scan. Couldn't get there from here :angry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users