Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro almost all desktop icons plus contents of both hhds disapeared

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SomeITGuy

SomeITGuy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hello,

Here is how the story goes the user turned on the computer one day and all but my computer icon disapeared on the desktop. Click on my computer and you cannot see the contents of the C: or F; { F:drive which is a 750g hdd} that had probably a couple hundred gigs of info in it. Both drives still show that there is the right amount of space being taken up on the drives you just can't see whats on the drives.

Nothing had been done to the computer physically no new drives or cards or anything else for that matter in over a year. So the desktop pc had been running stable for at least a year before this happened. To the best of my knowledge no new software updates had been installed either in a long time.

I ran house call on it and malwarebytes and they didn't find anything bad on the drives. My feeling is after seeing what is going on this is more like a windows corruption and less like an infection. That's just the impression that I am getting it is all software so anything is possible.

If this is a windows issue what is the best course of action to fix it, run a repair maybe? Or does this sound more like an infection or something else for that matter.

Oh great internet please tell me what the best way to fix this is!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Download Windows all in one repair tool.Run it with the settiings ticked in the screen shot I have upload.

http://majorgeeks.com/downloadget.php?id=7141&file=15&evp=18a37c9c3804bd022748a38eb328614e

Make sure and create a backup prior to doing this it is just standard for any registry adjustments. Make sure and have the restart windows when finished button ticked. Close all open windows prior to running it even your browser,for best chance of it working.

[attachment=121031:iconrepair.jpeg]

Go to the link below and download the appropriate file for the machine in question then run it after you run the registry fix below.
http://www.blackviper.com/2008/06/16/windows-xp-service-pack-3-services-registry-files/

Now reboot your machine.

#3 SomeITGuy

SomeITGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:47 AM

Thank you for the reply I followed your directions and the ones on the black viper page and the results are promising. The contents of the C: drive is visible and accesable now, all of the desktop icons and my docs are now there too. The F: drive is unchanged unfortunatly I think I forgot to mention this in my first post when this problem started there was only one folder left showing in it, it also shows that it has stuff in it but you can't see the contents of it when you open the folder just like the rest of the F: drive.

I ran check disk on both drives and they both checked ok no errors. I was mistaken it is XP MC.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

Can you run the tool on the F: Drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users