Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low disk health and overheating- OS failing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 retheeshmailme

retheeshmailme

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hi all,
I own a lenovo ideapad y560 with a 320gb WD harddisk(5400rpm)
The installed OS is windows7.The system started giving me the blue screen once in a while,about a month ago.
After couple of weeks,it wouldnt startup saying there is a harddisk error.
I tried to give linux a try, and installed ubuntu.It works,but the SMART reading gave pending sector count and reallocated sector count above threshold values,and finally ubuntu failed too and the.
I restored the factory installed W7 using the recovery disk yesterday,and ran the acronis disk monitor--and was shocked to see that the disk health is 10%,and the temperature is too high,i cant even touch a part of the laptop.
I am about to order a new harddisk,but wanted to see if anyone here thought that the drive can still be rescued, and if the high temperatures mean something else is wrong too.

Also,what would be the right replacement hard disk-if i want a slightly improved performance would Sata 3,7200 rpm be ok to be used to replace a 5400 rpm,Sata2?
Which are the better brands?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Replace the bad hard drive.

If you want a performance boost and are running Windows 7 go for a SSD. I prefer the Intel SSDs. I have 5 in use now.

The laptop will run cooler and use less battery power with a SSD too.
I've got one running next to me and I just checked it. It is running at room temperature. Can't get cooler than that. Add in the no moving parts so vibration and shock can not damage it and we have a winner.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users