Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Helpful?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

when my computer slows some, i see the cpu and ram are not close to being maxed out. does that mean it has to be the hard drive, and would a solid state drive be faster?

thanks,

jim

system:

AMD Phenom™ II X4 965
8 GB RAM
250gb, 7200rpm sata hard drive
Windows 7 (64-bit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hi Jim

Many years ago, I upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 2GB and I saw an instant incredible boost in performance.

Over the years since then I have replaced many many parts and never saw a huge increase in performance like I did with that memory upgrade

until...

About two years ago, I added a 60GB SSD and put my OS on it.

It was like going from 512MB to 2GB all over again :)

James

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

As James said. Best performance upgrade I ever made. Use as your boot drive.

With your hardware specs I have no doubt that the weakest link in the computer is the hard drive.
To put it another way, windows is waiting for the hard drive rather than the other way around.

I love them so much I just put a Intel SSD into my latest computer to boost it up.

That makes 5 since last year.

Personal opinion time:
Get a Intel or Samsung SSD for reliability. Intel 320 Series if you have SATA II or the 520 Series if you have SATA III, 5 year warranty on both series from Intel.
Samsung 830 series.

Also get at least a 120Gb or bigger. In some cases Size does matter.

Edited by rotor123, 22 March 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users