Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop suddenly shuts off without warning or boot down

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 perfection

perfection

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Two or three things have happened recently that make me believe that i am infected and hence am requesting help in this forum

Last night my laptop shut off all of a sudden - and i mean all of a sudden (did not boot down or warn me) like somebody flicks off a switch and the lights go out. At first I though it was the power but i was well plugged into the electricty socket and i also had battery back up.
This has happened twice before say a month back and three months back respectively but i did not give it a too much thought attributing it to freaky power fluctuation. Further, the time gaps between occurences were far and random
When i rebooted win 7 (64 bit with SP1 and completed up to date) asked me do a startup and system repair whcih i did and after a long wait i got a report saying

Problem Signature 01 6.1.7600.16388
Problem Signature 02 6.1.7600.16388
Problem Signature 03 unknown
Problem Signature 04 21200436
Problem Signature 05 Auto failover
Problem Signature 06 2
Problem Signature 07 Corrupted Acl

I thought that there may be an event log that could throw some light on the sudden shutdown and found a "Unable to start a DCOM Server" error whether connected or not to the shutdown I do not know. the text of this error log is posted below

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 07-03-2012 23:08:16
Event ID: 10001
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: SanjitKeskar-PC
Description:
Unable to start a DCOM Server: {E9513610-F218-4DDA-B954-2C7E6BA7CABB} as /. The error:
"740"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\1050\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe -Embedding
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="Error">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10001</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-07T17:38:16.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>46624</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>SanjitKeskar-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\Driver\1050\INTEL3~1\IDriver.exe -Embedding</Data>
<Data Name="param2">740</Data>
<Data Name="param3">{E9513610-F218-4DDA-B954-2C7E6BA7CABB}</Data>
<Data Name="param4">
</Data>
<Data Name="param5">
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

I am not quite suspicious that something unwanted is lurking in the laptop and am restless.
I do not even know if they all are related at all
Can i please be helped to clear the aitror diagnose the fault

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

There are only about five things that will cause a spontaneous shutdown. Overheating, bad power supply/adapter/powrer source interuption, flaky NIC, motherboard, or very rarely the processor. I'd check to see if it's overheating first and move on from there. Does it feel especially hot? Have you blown out the heatsink and fan area? Is your adapter making a good connection? Will it run on battery alone, is it holding a charge? Does it tend to happen when you are on the internet or accessing a network? The start up repair is normal, since the laptop did not get a chance to shut down properly, so I wouldn't worry about that, although it isn't good for it, of course.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#3 perfection

perfection
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

No the unit was not abnormaly hot
If it did shut down because of this would there not be an event log?
Can I find the temp (which software to use) ? and how can i determine about the possibility of the fan not working?Yes i was on the net when it happened

Thanks

#4 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Sometimes the event log will say only that "the previous system shutdown was unexpected." Not much help, right? But if you check around the sides and back of your laptop, you should see where there are some vents for cooling. If it's overheating, it should feel pretty hot around that area. Blow out the vents with some canned air (you can get it at Wal-Mart, or someplace like that for less than 10 bucks). Turn it on and listen to see if you can hear the fan kick on. Also, when you turn it on, some systems will actually give you a message after the POST like "the cpu was shut down due to a thermal event." Keep in mind, however, that overheating is just one of the things I mentioned. Did you check the battery to see if it is holding a charge? Did you check to see if the connection between the power adapter and the laptop is solid? You said it tends to happen when you are connected to the internet. Try leaving it running for a few hours while NOT connected. Sometimes a bad network card will cause these shutdowns. Also, try getting into the BIOS (usually F2 when you first power it on) and leave it running to see if it happens. I hope these suggestions help.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users