Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can rootkit do anything while my computer is off?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wharrrrrgarbl

wharrrrrgarbl

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'm currently on holiday, trying to enjoy myself, but at the same time I'm having to worry about losing all my work because of this rootkit I have at the moment.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is this; Can the rootkit do anything at all while my computer's off? If I leave my computer off for the entire trip, will it be exactly the same when I come back on? I'm hoping a few days with the computer off will persuade whoevers installed the rootkit to leave me alone, but I doubt it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

While the PC nothing can be done to it, and yes it will be the same as you left it.

#3 wharrrrrgarbl

wharrrrrgarbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

While the PC nothing can be done to it, and yes it will be the same as you left it.

Excellent.

Also, is it likely that whoever is using this rootkit has them running on loads of computers? Or do these people usually target one computer at a time? I'm just asking because I'm wondering how worried I should be about my personal files. Is it likely they've looked through all of it?

Also can they see my recent activity on my computer, or do they basically only have control of my browser/email? I'm really hoping nobody has been through my files with banking info in, and also some other personal stuff.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Rootkits are often downloaded and installed so that they can or have the potential to become part of a bot net.

They can see anything you do on your computer.

#5 wharrrrrgarbl

wharrrrrgarbl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

This might be a really dumb question too, but what about when my internet is off? If my internet's off will I be temporarily safe from it?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Yes as there is no connectivity to the machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users