Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RaSkull

RaSkull

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

My 80gb hard drive failed the other day, system will not do anything. So today I went and bought a "SeaGate" 160gb hard drive and followed the instructions for installing it as the only hard drive. The problem is, the bios setup screen doesn't show. When I power on the computer I see the CD/DVD rom drive light flash, and I see the power on light is on, and even the red light(on my comp) that indicates drive activity comes on and stays on for about 5-6 seconds then goes off. But I never see anything on my screen. I should atleast see the bios setup screen that says "press del key to enter setup".....right?
Any help would be great, I'm having to use my wife's laptop to post this.....help? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Nevermind. I found help elsewhere. Have figured out that my processor and/or motherboard is/are bad. The only way to tell which is bad is to install a known to be good or new processor and see if the bios screen appears. But since I do not have any spare computer parts, and I don't want to spend money on something that may or may not be needed so I bought a "barebone kit" from TigerDirect.com. For about the same price as a new processor or motherboard I'm getting a new case, power supply, motherboard and processor (intel celeron 340D, 2.93ghz, 256 cache). All for less then $150 US. And all of my other hardware will work with the new stuff, graphics card, sound card, memory etc. TigerDirect has great deals!! Anyone wanting a new system or parts should definitely check with them!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users