Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE/Firefox crashing computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DaHart85

DaHart85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Okay, bit of an annoying problem that I've only really spent a couple hours looking at, given that it's my dad's computer at his house.

Windows 7 x64 Home, Dell XPS Desktop PC. To start, I can boot into safe mode with networking, and cruise facebook and everything else just fine for him on IE. Having issues with re-installing Firefox since it keeps locking up and crashing (BSOD). I can get in and most things on the PC tend to run fine, then gets slower and slower with nothing big on the processes list in task manager. If I open either IE or Firefox, the thing locks up, can't even CTRL+ALT+DEL. I have ran AVG scan, ran Malwarebytes scan, uninstalled Firefox, uninstalled all javas, updated IE to 9 via Windows Update, and reinstalled javas/firefox again. Still crashes. My thought is that it has to be an addon or some crap somewhere since it runs fine in safe mode? The only add-on I had enabled in Firefox was the Java SSE Add-in or something like that. Not sure now since it won't re-install.

I was sort of dumbfounded, hopefully someone out there has an idea of how to remedy this. Let me know anything else to try, haven't tried completely removing IE yet, though I should. I'd hate to have to wipe and load after I've narrowed the problem down so far.

Thanks
-Hartman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

Look in msconfig startups for anything usual. Googgle them. Download Revo unistaller

Take a look in device manager, see if there is anything wrong there. Red exes, yellow exclaimations marks.

Disable IE add-ons in the control panel.

Do a browser RESET

Run sfc /scannow at the elevationed commanded prompt.

Check Event Veiwer for errors in systems and applications.

Uninstall all none essential software. Run CCleaner "registry clean" a few times until it shows no more results.

Run CHKDSK, set it to repair mode. 2-3 Hrs

Run Repair Install in the recovery partition.

You could run a clean install to troubleshoot

OK, you asked so there are a few things you can try. You can also download OTL and post the log to the security forum. Am I infected? What do I do?

And if all else fails, system recovery But, that would only be a last resort. If your pressed for time, and don't have important files to lose. Then reformat, install security, update, install DEll updates, install third party software. I've hard bad experiences with Firefox, or Waterfox 64bit system.

Edited by Nephilim1955, 22 March 2012 - 01:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users