Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Block Internet Sites

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 as44

as44

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

I would like to be able to block all poker internet sites from my PC
I see there are many programmes offering this when I go into Google.
Do you know of a good one or is there any other way of going about this?

Hope I have posted this in the correct forum
Please advice me if I should be somewhere else on this site!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:14 AM

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Sites
Enter the url and click Block
You will have to enter each site. There is filtering software. Try a google search gambling site blocking software
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 as44

as44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for that re the TOOLS use However it has not been successful.
Do you have any way of letting me know that the internet package 'gamblock'
is safe to use on my PC

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

I have never heard or used that software.

#5 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 03 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

I would be leery of the program. I am not real fond of the fact that it claims it can't be uninstalled. A better way would be to block sites via hosts file or though a filtering program that is a little more open about what they are doing like NetNanny.

Edited by ColdinCbus, 03 March 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

Without paying hundreds of dollars for corporate software that is designed to block such, the only safe way is site be site. I Protect You is a very powerful software that I have been using for years. It can block or allow, and you can allow time frame of use. It to cannot be uninstalled, but I can vouce for it's reliablity. The paid version is even more robust. I used this software when my kids were sneacking onto the net after we went to bed. I block everything and allow it once I have demend it safe for the kids. I highly recommend this software. This is the freeware version which is no longer supported.
I hope this helps.

#7 bevburrows

bevburrows

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hi

I don't know if this information will be helpful at all, but I bought a second hand pc which, it transpired, had the GAMBLOCK software installed on it...... What a nightmare! I can understand some people wanting to control what they see over the internet, but that program stops access to even the most innocent of web pages! I particularly have problems with You Tube and Ebay. Just to add insult to injury the "support" offered by the developers of Gamblock is beyond poor....... Apparently the program installs without an uninstall option - it's somehow embedded/encrypted into the operating system. It actually shuts down the whole PC, sometimes without warning, and the manufacturers refuse point blank to uninstall it. I have been told by an engineer who has had a look at it, that all he could do is re-install windows, but that he still couldn't give me any guarantees, especially as (according to the engineer) it has been developed and embedded in such a way that it will deliberately cause system instability if attempts are made to remove it........ sounds like a virus type program to me, now why would anyone want to install one of those voluntarily?

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

surely any program that cannot be uninstalled bar via a drastic reformat of the OS could be considered a 'virus'?

some reviews on google about GAMBLOCK state that the program is designed to stop you gambling; on one link a contributer states that it serves you right TO have the program on board due TO your gambling habits and refues to give any help to remove it

against who or what are you trying to protect your computer? who is using it that needs'restricting' or are you being directed to sites you did not request?

#9 Cody D.

Cody D.

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

I've never heard of "gamblock" but I would recommend downloading something like 123BlockMe and entering the url's of all the gambling sites you want to block... It should be pretty easy to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users