Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Compromized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 splooosh

splooosh

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

hi, I'm running microsoft internet explorer version 6.0.2900.2180 sp2 and my computer is on most of the time; and when I went back to it after a 2 hr break on feb 17, my norton interntet security 2006 was not running, I was unable to contact the live update, unable to connect to outlook express, and I was unable to connect to paradisepoker.com. When I try to do a search in either google or yahoo using the word, registry, the window closes. I installed stompsoft registry repair and when I tried to run it, the windows just close. I also run spybot search and destroy, ad-aware and trojan remover, but cannot update files. I tried running hijack this, but the screen kept freezing. I am however still able to search the internet with these restrictions. Could you please advise. thanx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:14 AM

If your unable to go to any security firms websites I'd recommend downloading the following programs on a friends PC's and then running them. You can get the updates from these sites.

Download Spybot updates here
Download Adaware updates here
Download Ewido Updates here
Download symantec updates here

If you think you are infected submit a hijackthis log to the HJT Forum.

How to submit a hijackthis log

Download Hijackthis

Try running the following from safe mode (Getting to safe-mode) Sysclean you'll also need the virus template file from here lpt***.zip remember to extract the contents of the zip file into the same folder as Sysclean.com

or

DrWeb CureIT

or

KASFX which is powered by the Kaspersky AV engine, you will need internet access to update it. If you haven't got net access in safe mode, update it before you use it.

If your good with the command line also try Sophos Command Line scanner this command will scan all of your hdd's SAV32CLI.EXE -F -di -remove -dn -mbr -all -zip -p=avscanlog.txt and give you a log file to review afterwards.

Also try installing and running A2 Free and Ewido again run from safe mode.

I'd also run Spybot(Spybot Tutorial) and Adaware

If your using Win2K/XP run adaware/spybot from "safe mode with command prompt" If your using Win9x just run it from safe mode the command line options aren't needed..

At the C:\ prompt type the following:-

cd\
C:\progra~1\spybot~1\spybotsd.exe /autocheck /autofix
cd\
C:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-awa~1\ad-aware.exe

#3 splooosh

splooosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:10 AM

hi, I cleaned my registry with regclean and clean my registry pc still with no difference. I ran hijack this in safe mode and sent it to the hijack link you sent(I haven't had a response yet). From those links you sent me, I was only able to access a-squared so I uninstalled norton internet security 2006 and installed a-squared and everything seems to be working again. When I went to open up the google search engine, a-squared said that there is a possible maicious backdoor opened but I don't know how to address that and am using the google search engine.
thanx

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:44 AM

aČ is not a stand alone antivirus. You need to install an antivirus. If your computer is working better with Norton removed I would guess at least some of your problem was Norton.
Here are some freeware replacements.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Edited by acklan, 21 February 2006 - 09:45 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users