Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.ini

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

My recent HD crash has had me puzzled for 2 days, but in recent searches, I found that I could solve my booting prob with making another OS in the boot.ini file. Then, I realized that its only a couple of bad sectors (HD replacement is immenent). Now, how do I get rid of the second one? I tried seeing if there was away through msconfig, but I couldn't see anything worthwhile to me. Can somebody help? Thanx

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:11 AM

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;289022

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thank you very much! Can I repay you with a whole bunch of smilies? :cool: :P :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :) :thumbsup:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

With that article you could multi-boot a second OS by entering the startup path? Say linux? Or will this only reconize Windows products?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:23 AM

Thank you very much! Can I repay you with a whole bunch of smilies? :) :) :trumpet: :inlove: :P :thumbsup: :flowers:

That is a little more then I charge, but tips are accepted... :cool:

YW
Glad to help

With that article you could multi-boot a second OS by entering the startup path? Say linux? Or will this only reconize Windows products?

This I can't be sure of for I have never messed with Linux and know nothing of its platform.
I have enough trouble keeping up with the Windows builds, I experiment a little with MAC only because my daughter holds a Mass Comm degree and is heavy into MAC for her profession. MAC is very impressive but can't help with Linux.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thanks. I'll try it and post back. It could be an alternative to LILO or GRUB.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users