Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andy_B

Andy_B

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I recently upgraded my pc from WIN XP SP3 with a new second 500 gb drive, cpu, mobo, graphics card and to Win 7 64 bit. So far things are OK on the WIN 7 side. I left my old 500GB drive with XP and all my data on it as a second drive. I can change the boot drive in bios and boot either XP or WIN 7 which I've been doing while I migrate all my programs and data to the new drive. So now that I have pretty much reinstalled everything on the WIN 7 side I'm ready to say good bye to XP. I still have quite a few files on the old drive and can access some of them in WIN 7 but am locked out of others. I suspect that it is the admin privleges in XP that is causing this. Rather than transferring everything I want to keep the second drive for storage or what ever.

So my question is what is the best way to uninstall XP and all it's clutter? I have two partitions on the old drive and I've moved all non XP files that I want to keep to one side. Can I just format the side of the drive with XP and be done with it or should I be looking out for something?

Any input appreciated.

Edited by Andy_B, 21 March 2012 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

You can simply format the partition or drive that has XP on it to remove it and the files.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users