Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Boot Device availible.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Raymond Lee Leggs

Raymond Lee Leggs

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

saome time ago my DVD RW drive broke and I had to unplug it from the sata because all it did was mess witht he computer, and whenever I started
it up the PC it was no boot device availible in the BIOS/Diagnostics so you have to turn it off again restart and press F12 for the boot options and run a diagnostics.

I recently replaced the DVD drive witha new LG DVD RW drive. same thing upon start up. I did go through the Bios/startup config menus and it said that the SATA DVD drive was [disabled] so it [enabled] it.

The DVD drive and PC work fine except the no bood device availible upon startup.

Sometimes the PC is really slow. I defragged hardrive to speed up computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

Please post as much information to your computer - type,model, OS and issues going to this problem.

Tekken

#3 Raymond Lee Leggs

Raymond Lee Leggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

The OS is Windows vista g4 buttt
comouter is Dell Inspiron Model 537s

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

I would think that the CMOS battery might possibly need replacing, if the BIOS boot options are properly set.

"No boot device" would indicate a hardware recognition problem by the system if I saw it on my system. First thing I would do is enter the BIOS and check my boot options and recognition of hardware attached. If hardware is ostensibly attached but not recognized...I'd check the connections to the motherboard.

The lack or presence of an optical drive...should be of no importance at all if the boot options are set to boot from the hard drive.

Louis

#5 Raymond Lee Leggs

Raymond Lee Leggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

The computer is only two years old how can the CMOS battery be dead already? I did check the boot options, It seemed as if everything was normal i guess I enabled the DVD drive but still no boot device availible.

I have to run diagnostic and press ESC and hit enter to get the computer to boot up.

I Am not an advanced user so I do know to be careful with BIOS settings.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

<<I did check the boot options, It seemed as if everything was normal i guess I enabled the DVD drive but still no boot device availible.>>

Inspiron 537s BIOS/Setup

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning the optical drive...if the system boots properly from the hard drive, you should not be getting the posted error message.

Louis

#7 Raymond Lee Leggs

Raymond Lee Leggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

when I go to the boot options menu it gives a list of boot options the first is the SATA_DVD-RW_(XXXXXX-NUMBER_DRIVE)

Computer will not boot up unless I boot it via the boot options. Didnt do it until I removed the old DVD drive which I threw away.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

Change...the BIOS boot options...so that the hard drive is the first option...then save the changes made in the BIOS by hitting F10.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users