Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help: Laptop Clicking

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vosie

Vosie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I have a HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC, running Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit). Lately, I’ve noticed a very intermittent clicking sound. It only seems to happen while I’m in the middle of something, like using Lightroom, watching a video, or surfing the internet. When it’s idling, it doesn’t seem to making the sound. It can go hours without making the sound, sometimes days, then will make it every 2-15 minutes, repeatedly, for a few hours. It’s always a single click. I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and it doesn’t seem to conform to any of the reasons I’ve read for clicking. So I’d appreciate some help on this, if anyone has ideas or suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2012 - 08:59 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Hi and welcome to B-C

Clicking can be associated with a failing hard drive - but it is rarely intermittent as you describe.

As a precaution backup any files / data from the drive that you do not wish to lose.

It could be malware related.

Download MBAM from here: [ click on Products and scroll down .....you want the free version ]
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
You may get redirected to a mirror site - this is OK.
[make sure you only d/l MBAM from the mirror site]

Install > Update > Run
It will produce a log in Notepad.

It will be obvious if it finds anything.
If it does I suggest that you post the log [ and an explanation ] in the Malware Removal Forum for the experts there to advise further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users