Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 u/s. !

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 btj

btj

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi folks;

I'm btj a Bleepingcomputer newbie !, & hoping somebody can help me out please !!!!!!

My wife's Acer Laptop crashed after a Windows 7 Microsoft Update !
After a fashion, (after attempting F8 on startup, & Alt+F10 on startup, all to no avail :huh: ) I pressed F2 when starting, changed the 'Boot From' order, & managed to run the Recovery Disc's (that I made with that same computer when 1st purchased).
They appeared to run ok, concluded, I clicked on Finish, as requested. The Logo appeared, as did the 'loading bar' for approx. 5 secs, only to revert back to the Windows Error Recovery Screen !!!!!! (attempted x3) So close, yet so far !!!!
1) I haven't got a Windows 7 Disc, only, as tends to be the norm when buying a computer these days, the Recovery Discs you create yourself !
2) I cant access to choose my Language settings !
3) Or access the 'repair your computer' option !

Using any of the 'other options' :- They start to load................................only to revert to the WER Screen !

Initially after installing the update, the screen showed Windows couldn't start because of a 'Boot Configuration Data Error File \Boot\BCD Status oxc000000F', which disappeared after running the Recovery Discs.

I use AVG Antivirus & Spywareblaster.

Run CCleaner then System Ninja occasionally.

These have been on the Laptop from the beginning, as has Commodo Time Machine (which when I run each restore point only get to 64%, then reverts to the WER Screen.)

All the above have had NO conflicts, nor caused any issues.

I would imagine I'm not the first person to have had this problem ?

All help will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

btj :lmao:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hello btj,

Before you go any further, does your wife have any important files or documents that she would like to rescue?
Some System Recovery schemes protect data but most don't. I'm not sure what Acer does.

If you want to save her data (good idea I think), you will need another computer with a CD burner, blank CD-R disc, and a USB Flash drive. You will create a live linux CD, boot from the CD, access your hard drive, then copy the documents you need to an attached USB flash drive.

Download this "live Linux CD"; xPUD-0.9.2.iso (64 mb).
  • Burn the iso to make a bootable CD using ImgBurn or other burning software.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • During installation you may want to uncheck the box to add the Ask Toolbar.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[*]When xPud loads you will see a "Welcome to xPUD" screen.[*]Click "File" from left menu and under "File System" click the triangle next to "mnt" and find your system hard drive (sda). Note, if you plug a Flash drive in you will see it there also (sbd1).[*]You can navigate to your "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," "<your user name>, "My Documents."[*]Copy the folder/files you wish to save by right mouse clicking and "Save," then pasting them into the flash drive (same as windows).[*]To "Exit" xPUD, click "HOME" from left menu, "Power Off," and "Restart."[/list]
After all data has been backed up, you can have a look at this link: acer-restore-factory-settings to see if you can access the hidden partition on the hard drive to attempt the System Recovery since you are having trouble with the discs. Arrow down to fgdn17's reply.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 btj

btj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hi Artrooks;

Greatly appreciate your kind advice sir.
I should have mentioned before, that my Wife has nothing of concern on her Laptop, & is happy just to format it.
This should make things a tad easier, & I shall certainly attempt what you've recommended, & keep you 'posted'(excuse the pun)if that's ok with you ?

Sincerely;

btj

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

c0000005 is
STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE - which means it can't find
File: \Boot\BCD

Have you run bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot?
Then, if it doesn't boot, run bootrec /RebuildBcd (from this KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392 )

By usasma

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

Jaycee said:
c0000005 is
STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE - which means it can't find
File: \Boot\BCD

I think that was the initial error. He has since attempted a System Recovery with the Acer recovery disks that seems to have gone bad.

If you can't complete a System Recovery with either the recovery disks or the hidden partition, then it would make since to test the hard drive by running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic software linked from here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm.

If you don't know your hard drive manufacturer, download the Seagate for DOS as it should work on most drives.
  • Download the DOS version and burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • During installation you may want to uncheck the box to add the Ask Toolbar.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Run the short test first and then the extended test. Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.
    If you are given an option to attempt to repair the drive, allow it to.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 btj

btj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your help.

Now just ran the Hitachi (bootable)Drive Fitness Test. came back with 'Disposition Code = 0x00', which is a system file error code. Downloaded 0x00 repair tool to my PC- doesn't appear to be bootable, so can't transfer it to the dead laptop :lmao: !!!!!!!!

Cheers;

btj

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Have a look at the manual. According to the Drive Fitness Test Usage Instructions , Page 28, Error Codes:

Code 0x00
No Error
Command complete successfully

You could get a second opinion and try Seagate for DOS per my last post. You will receive either a "Pass" or "Fail" on each test. If it offers to repair the drive, allow it to try.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 btj

btj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks once again Artrooks!;

As you recommended, checked out the Error Codes on Page 28, which as you indicate, states No Error !

I ran the Quick Test initially, which indicated 0x00, I'm now running the Advanced Test, which I presume is more thorough, just to see if that says any different ?
I'll try the Seagate Test afterwards, if hopefully Bootable, as the Hitachi Test was ?
Contacted Acer email support, as previously advised. They've got back to me, & as requested I have provided them with my SNID etc. So hopefully see if they can also help if I still have no success ??

They may well respond to say it's out of warranty, as this issue began 15mths. after purchase !
I'm seriously hoping not, as it's had an extremely easy life, & you would surely expect an Acer electrical product to prove reliable, & provide good service for a great deal longer than that !

Thank you for your kind support out there !

Here's hoping !

btj B)

#9 btj

btj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sincere thanks folks 4 trying to help. After going round in circles for weeks, had to use a Windows 7 disc to save the day in the end. Certainly added to the ol' learnin' curve though !

Thanks Again;

btj :busy:

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Well, I'm sure your wife is happy to have her computer back. Posted Image

Once the system is fully updated, I would recommend making a Windows 7 Repair CD. Here is a nice how to. Since you just have the Recovery DVDs for that computer, the Repair Disk would be a nice addition should you experience similar problems in the future.

The best.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users