Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Totally Hopeless

Totally Hopeless

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

For the last several days, my computer (an Acer Aspire 5100) shuts off about 10 minutes after I start it. I then have to wait two or three minutes before I can start it again. If I run a disk check, I get a message that some .tmp file was the wrong size. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

Please...post the exact content of the error message. It's designed to indicate a problem which has been detected (and, possibly overcome) but the content is the only clue that the system initially provides.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Running a "disk check" without a recover / repairswitch is useless. You need to run chkdsk /r

I'm not suggesting this is the cause of your problems. On the contrary, it's probably the result of them. Sounds more like your system may be overheating.

Edited by Allan, 21 March 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Here are the specs for your machine. Acer Aspire 5100 and here are the Acer Aspire 5100 FAQ

Can you identify your problem with any of those mentioned in the FAQ?

Do you have the latest drivers installed? Acer Aspire 5100 Support (You might have to go through the menu to get to the 5100 drivers).

Have you checked Windows Event Viewer for clues? The system logs events both good and bad whenever it's in use. To access Event Viewer, click Start, then Run (or hit Windows logo key + R), type: eventvwr.msc and click OK. Problems are identified by either a black exclamation mark inside a yellow warning triangle, or a white cross inside a red circle. If you find any, please post the Event ID(s) for these. The Event ID# is visible in the sixth column from the left after opening a submenu.

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

If it is regularly shutting down after only 10 minutes then it is quite likely (as mentioned earlier) that it is overheating. If it then shuts down after a shorter period when you immediately reboot it that is fairly clear evidence that heat is the problem.

This could be due to dust build up inside the machine or a failed fan. Can you hear the fan running when you switch it on and does it speed up before it shuts down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users