Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2007 freezes after sending an email

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MrMark52

MrMark52

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

A couple of weeks ago my Outlook started freezing up after I sent an email. In general, the machine was acting like it had a bug, or at minimum a conflict with my virus detection.

I was running Avast Free at the time. But assuming nothing wrong there, and considering the machine was overall acting sluggish, I ran a MalwareBytes scan, and a SpyBot scan. I also did a chkdsk of my ~3 year old hard drive, as well as a defrag.
I went into my mail and did some housekeeping, storing my old email messages under separate yearly folders (both Inbox and Sent items.). Whether these folders are Open or Closed within Outlook makes no difference.

Hard drive is about 50% full. I have upgraded memory to 4GB from 2GB thinking it would help overall performance of the machine (it didn't appear to, and had no impact on the Outlook freezing issue.).

This week, I have worked with nasdaq of Bleeping Computer to insure my machine was clean of bugs. My logs are clean. Outlook freezing occurs if it's the only program running, or with other programs running. The freezeup occurs when an email reply or new email is sent.

I have followed some of the Microsoft recommendations and deleted both the Word Normal template, and the NormalEMail templates, and allowed Outlook and Word to rebuild them. That didn't work.
I have not rebuilt my profiles as they have not been modified in any way to cause the issue, especially since the machine has been bug free for at least since Christmas. I have not tried starting Outlook in Safe Mode.

As the Outlook freezing problem originally began to surface in late February, I have installed and uninstalled Avast, Avira, and MS Defender. As the problem seemed to start or escalate with MS Defender, I removed it and have ended up back to Avast. In most cases, I used the removal programs for those products.

When Outlook freezes, I have to do a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up Windows Task Manager (running XP Pro SP3), and end the task. Quite often, I notice CPU usage at 100%, more often a result of the searchindexer.exe process being the major contributor. Waiting a few seconds, or minutes, makes no difference to Outlook becoming usable again.

I have also thought about doing a Repair Install, but am concerned about the loss of updates.

So, am at wits end, and looking for advice as to solving this issue. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help shed light on how to resolve this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Hi

Does it only freeze when sending but receives mail normally?

If so,
Go to TOOLS > SEND RECEIVE > SEND RECEIVE SETTINGS > SHOW PROGRESS
Select the Errors tab.

Are there any errors listed?

James

#3 MrMark52

MrMark52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks James!

No errors reported, and I did a "Send/Receive" a couple of times to confirm.

I am beginning to wonder if it's a memory problem. Was trying to do some Word/ACAD/Excel/export to WMF and PDF work, which I have not done since early January, and the machine was just altogether slow and somewhat unresponsive. What used to take me an hour took about 2-1/2 hours.

I've still got my old memory, I'm going to drop it back in the machine. It's 2GB rather than 4, but I didn't have issues with it like I am having now.

If you have any other thoughts, let me know. Meantime, I'll report back later this afternoon after replacing memory and testing the machine.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

What kind of mail account do you use? Is it a gmail type account or is it on a regular mail server like work or your ISP?

The next thing to check would be to view a test send and see what it does.

Save your work first because we are going to try to get it to do the crash while we are watching for specific errors.

In Outlook go to TOOLS > ACCOUNT SETTINGS
On the EMAIL tab double-click your email account that you have the problem with
This should open the CHANGE EMAIL ACCOUNT window for that account
Press the TEST ACCOUNT SETTINGS button
Immediately select the ERRORS tab while it is testing and watch for any errors

If it works it will say "Congratulations! All tests completed successfully"
If it hangs, let us know if it posted any errors. Let it sit there for 10 minutes to make sure it doesn't give us any info before rebooting.

James

#5 MrMark52

MrMark52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:09 PM

James,

Tests completed and no errors. I've got 5 email accounts that I access via Outlook. All successful with return email from MS.

Mark

Edited by MrMark52, 21 March 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Good, that probably rules out it being a problem with your connection to the sending ports of the mail servers.

Keep us posted on any changes or recurrences.

James

#7 MrMark52

MrMark52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

On a hunch, I removed Microsoft's Business Contact Manager from Outlook, and I've sent 4 emails without an issue. I have not done that in several weeks.
Outlook loaded faster and appears to be more responsive than it has in the past.

Funny, as I was removing BCM using the Add/Delete programs under Program Manager, it said it was removing SP1. But I had BCM SP2.

Go figure. All appears to be working good now. Will report back in a couple or 3 days with an update on how it's working.

I never used BCM anyway. :-)

#8 ricsko

ricsko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

On a hunch, I removed Microsoft's Business Contact Manager from Outlook, and I've sent 4 emails without an issue. I have not done that in several weeks.
Outlook loaded faster and appears to be more responsive than it has in the past.

Funny, as I was removing BCM using the Add/Delete programs under Program Manager, it said it was removing SP1. But I had BCM SP2.

Go figure. All appears to be working good now. Will report back in a couple or 3 days with an update on how it's working.

I never used BCM anyway. :-)

@MrMark52 : I had the same problem occuring from nowhere...uninstalled BCM and now outlook seems to be working fine, no freezing after sending. Thanks for your troubleshooting!

#9 MrMark52

MrMark52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

All -

After nearly a week of use since removing MS Business Contact Manager from Outlook, I can report the Outlook freeze-up problem is no more.

To ricsko - Great this worked for you also! At least it's a correlation that I'm not crazy in that this appeared to fix Outlook.

#10 bigwave

bigwave

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

Hello
I am having the same issue with outlook freezes when I send an email. I removed Business Contact Manager by going to File, account setting, data files and remove. but I still get the problem. Need to ctrl=alt=delete every time i send mail. everything else works. Got this problem when I upgraded my avast. Had their tech support un install and reinstall but problme still there. Could it be avast. Is there something I missed when removing Business Contact Manager ?

Thanks in advance
Dave

#11 des44

des44

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

IT WORKED! Uninstalling the Contact Manager from the Add/Remove Programs area has once again allowed me to send emails without my Outlook 2007 freezing. Thanks.

Ironically, at the time that Outlook began freezing when sending emails I had upgraded my AVAST (antivirus). It quite possible that AVAST (v. 7.0.1426) has a bug which they needs to rooted out.

#12 MrMark52

MrMark52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

des44 - As I think about it, mine started acting buggy after an antivirus update, which at the time I was running Microsoft's Defender after getting a bug in January (and at the suggestion of a BleepingComputer moderator). Thinking the Outlook issue was Defender, I uninstalled it and reinstalled Avast, which was my A/V prior to Defender.
But the problem continued until it hit me there was the update to BCM around the same time.

Bottom line is, it may well be the A/V engines that don't like something about BCM.

Good to know you got the same results as I did by removing BCM. Would be nice to know what the real root of the problem is.

#13 Dee_Marie_SOA

Dee_Marie_SOA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks so much for the helpful information. I too recently had my Outlook 2007 freeze when sending emails (it also froze if I clicked on a link within an email). I was pulling out my hair trying to find a solution until I happened upon this forum.

As recommended, I removed the Business Contact Manager (via add/remove programs) and that appears to have solved my "email send" freezing problem.

As a side note, I too had just installed an update from Avast just before the freezing started. Also, I'm not sure if this information is relevant, but ... my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium; AMD processor; Duel Core. Using Avast Free version.

Thank you again for the excellent advice.
Dee Marie
Author of the "Sons of Avalon" saga

#14 mdvern

mdvern

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hey Guys,
I've registered here for the off-chance that my experience might be of use.
I've got the same set up it seems mostly everyone here has commented on - Outlook 2007 w/ BCM and Avast home edition version 7.0.1426.
After the last Avast update, I experienced the same problem with my outlook crashing after sending an email.
I do use my BCM on a daily basis so it wasn't a route for me to take to remove it from outlook.
I was able to turn off the outbound message scanning function within avast to alleviate the symptoms. (I think Avast will ultimately have to be the one to solve the problem.)
Just open avast, click on 'Real-Time Shields' then on 'Mail Shield', then unclick the box 'Scan Outbound Messages'. You'll have to restart outlook for the changes to take effect.

Hopefully this helps - please let me know if I'm out to lunch.

Thanks so much everyone!
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users