Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeepbub

jeepbub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

My hard drive went out on my computer. I took it to Radio Shack and they told me I could not put a newer hard drive in it they tried and it would not work. The hard drive in it is a Western Digiral Caviar 26400 with 6.4 GB 13328cyl 15 heads 63 spt . I have no idea what this means. Can I upgrade this hard drive, and with what can I upgrade. How many GB can I use and What speed. Please help I'm a computer idiot. I am barely able to start it up.

(Moderator edit: expanded post title and moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 19 February 2006 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:51 AM

I would be glad to help. I need some information to tell you what you want.
1. What Brand and model computer is it?
2. How much RAM, and what processor does it have?Intel, P-I, P-II, P-III,AMD, K-5, K-6, Durhon?
3. What Operating sytem are you using? Windows 9x, ME, XP?

The fact is you can put almost any size hard drive in your computer with the correct hard drive utility.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jeepbub

jeepbub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:42 AM

It has 512 RAM and I believe it is a Pentium II (I'm not real sure of this) It is running XP. It is a custom made computer that my father in law gave to me.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

If you are running XP Pro with SP2 you should be able to run almost any hard drive and FORMATed with NTFS partition(s). XP with SP1 was limit to 137gb. But even with that you just had to use the partitionsoftware provider with most hard drive and just divide up the hard drive into smaller partitions.
Example: 250gb drive partitioned into a 125gb C:\, and a 125gb D:\ partition. Simple but an effective work around.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users