Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Runtime error 2 at 00004ad4

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 apached

apached

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Keep getting the Runtime Error 2 at 00004ad4 at startup.
Have tried disabling unknown applications, also ran scans with MSE and Malaware but found nothing.
Even tried msconfig and disabled all, but that also disabled some Windows functions like internet and email.
Not sure how to selectively just disable unknown applications in msconfig.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

Was it working fine before? If so, do you remember making any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?
· When exactly do you get this error message?

· What is the exact and complete error message?

Reply with above information to help you better.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Step 1:

Restart computer in safe mode and check if the issue occurs follow the steps in link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Step 2:

If safe mode works restart computer in clean boot and check if issue occurs, follow the steps from the link below for clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Follow the step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

#3 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hello Nephilim,
Thanks for the quick response. In answer to your questions.
Yes, it has been working fine, until recently.
Do not recall any specific changes that could have caused this issue, except for the usual browsing downloading emailing etc.
The message appears as the desktop finishes loading at computer startup.
It is small box titled Error and Says
Runtime error 2 at 0004AD4 with OK button. (See attachment below)
Have followed the steps outlined and it still appears with all services stopped, except these two:

RPC Endpoint Mapping
Group Policy Client.
Unable to deselect them so cannot cannot isolate between the two.

Attached File  runtime.png   43.07KB   6 downloads

PS.While searching on Google saw report of the same problem which claims that it seems to be quite widespread and only began on Mar 15, which is also around the time is started with me as well.

Edited by apached, 21 March 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#4 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

OK, let's approach this issue by first cleaning up your OS system.

What Internet Security software are you running? Let me know.

But, first run an update and a scan. See if it finds and fixes anything.

Are Microsoft Updates current? Go there and check for updates.

Keep updating until it says there are no new updates.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Download and run: Malwarebytes

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Download and run: CCleaner

http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Run Defragmenter. Whether or not, it says it's not needed.

Lets start with the above fixes, and see if the runtime errors are removed, and your computer runs better after the cleanup.

Remember to reboot often during cleanup.

If you have any problems with using any of these programs, let me know.

If we can't clean your system up and remove the errors.

I would suggest you start a new topic in, AM I infected? What do I do?

They will run more specialized cleaning tools there.

After the specialized cleaners are ran, and if you still have odd behavior, error messages, etc.

I'd recommend you do a Repair Install. If that doesn't work, then System Recovery.

Nephilim

Edited by Nephilim1955, 21 March 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#5 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have Microsoft Security Essentials running and it says Computer Status- Protected. See attached.
Before starting this thread, had run scan by both MSE and then Malaware. MSE found nothing and 2 infections found by Malaware were deleted.
I have been using CCleaner regularly and have run it at least 2 or 3 times since this error first appeared.
Have activated Windows Update and will advise result shortly.
Most likely it appears may have to look for some sort of infection!

Attached Files

• Attached File  mse.png   171KB   1 downloads

Edited by apached, 21 March 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#6 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yes, possibly injected. If you just want to skip the malware forum and you don't have much of anything important saved on your computer. I'd would just reformat...get it over with. But, on the other hand, if you, like I do, never pass up a good challenge. Just a matter of principles. LOL Your call..

Nephilim

Edited by Nephilim1955, 21 March 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#7 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

It probably involves a program that starts when Windows starts.

Just to take a quick look you can run msconfig and go to the startup tab to see if there are any programs there that you don't recognize.

If there are, do a search to see if that is causing a similar error for other people.

Click the Orb in the lower left hand corner of the screen and type in

msconfig

in the textbox and hit enter. Then look at the StartUp tab.

James

EDIT: I did a quick search and it looks like many people are getting it from the program MediaGet being in their startup. It may be a broken install of it so if you have it but can't figure out how to remove it, try using Revo uninstaller to see if that helps http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html the freeware version should work fine for this.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 21 March 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#8 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Have no idea how to reformat. Have to read up on correct procedure.
@James,
Have run msconfig as part of clean boot process and stoppped all services except for RPC Endpoint Mapping & Group Policy Client.
Just ran msconfig again with all startup programs disabled, except for Microsoft applications and the error box still appears.
Just noticed your edit.
Was not sure about mediaget, but will try your suggestion now.

Edited by apached, 21 March 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#9 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Never say die, is correct about checking for mediaget in startup. That is part or the game called Half-Life. Have you ever installed that game? Or course, you could of downloaded some crap and got it that way, too.

Nephilim

Edited by Nephilim1955, 21 March 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#10 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

That did it !! Thanks, James. Very neat Uninstaller. Came up with a long list of Registry remanants, which were deleted.
No more annoying Runtime Error.
Have no idea where Mediaget came from. Thought it was part of Windows!
Thanks again.

Edited by apached, 21 March 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#11 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

Nephilim,
Yes saw some mention of Half life, but I have never played it. No idea where it came from.
Full credit to the Uninstaller.
Thanks for your help.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yay!

Nobody seems to know where it came from. Appears to be some kind of torrent thing. You might want to make sure that your virus scanner is up to date and do a full scan again.

I found a lot of it in Russia and Eastern Europe where the error appears to be (but no one is sure) in the localization settings of MediaGet when english is used.

FIX
Use Revo to uninstall MediaGet fully from the system.

Unless you want to use MediaGet for some reason. Then the fix for some people is to change it to not start with Windows and set the language to Russian.

James

#13 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yay!

Nobody seems to know where it came from. Appears to be some kind of torrent thing. You might want to make sure that your virus scanner is up to date and do a full scan again.

I found a lot of it in Russia and Eastern Europe where the error appears to be (but no one is sure) in the localization settings of MediaGet when english is used.

FIX
Use Revo to uninstall MediaGet fully from the system.

Unless you want to use MediaGet for some reason. Then the fix for some people is to change it to not start with Windows and set the language to Russian.

James

Hi James,

Yep,He could of got it from (torrent)file sharing sites. He should probably go to the malware forums and let those guy run an OTL scanner to see if it OK now.

Edited by Nephilim1955, 21 March 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#14 hawkinau

hawkinau

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

It probably involves a program that starts when Windows starts.

Just to take a quick look you can run msconfig and go to the startup tab to see if there are any programs there that you don't recognize.

If there are, do a search to see if that is causing a similar error for other people.

Click the Orb in the lower left hand corner of the screen and type in

msconfig

in the textbox and hit enter. Then look at the StartUp tab.

James

EDIT: I did a quick search and it looks like many people are getting it from the program MediaGet being in their startup. It may be a broken install of it so if you have it but can't figure out how to remove it, try using Revo uninstaller to see if that helps http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html the freeware version should work fine for this.

Hi Guys,
This run-time error prob started a couple of days ago for no apparent reason, I just ran MSConfig and sure enough Media Get was there, I disabled it and rebooted and no run-time error any more. MediaGet, is an all-in-one BitTorrent client developed in Russia and seems to be a legit torrent client so I don't know why it is an issue with every one including me, I have recently gone out side my usual torrent D/L sites like Isohunt and Pirate Bay and used MediaGet hence the problem, I will go in to Reg-edit and remove from the registry now thanx guys

#15 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Hi

You should use msconfig only for quickly identifying whether or not it is running at startup. If it is then remove it properly with add/remove programs or like some have successfully done in this thread, with Revo uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
the freeware version should work fine for this.

If you want to fix and use MediaGet , check with the company that made it to see if they have an update to fix the error.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users