Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie8 won't launch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreasyWheeler

GreasyWheeler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Searched problem using firefox, tried a variety of solutions to no avail. I'm about to wipe this machine, but it otherwise works fine and I'd rather fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Have you uninstalled it, rebooted then reinstalled it.
You mentioned a variety of solutions to no avail but didn't mention what.
I'm just a member - not anybody qualified to tell you what to do. Just my nickle's worth.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

How To Reinstall Internet Explorer 8 and Why
Try this tutorial to Uninstall I.E.8 and then I.E.7 (or your previous version) should be automatically restored.

Once you do this, there is a link included on reinstalling I.E.8 if you wish -

Thanks -

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Searched problem using firefox, tried a variety of solutions to no avail. I'm about to wipe this machine, but it otherwise works fine and I'd rather fix it.

How are you trying to launch it? Using the desktop shortcut? If so, try an alternative method of starting it.

• Click Start, go to Programs and then click the link to it.
  • Click Start, click "Run" (or press Windows logo key + R to get the "Run" command), type: iexplore.exe and click OK.
  • Right click the IE icon on your desktop and choose "Start without Add-ons". This option should load IE without add-ons like the Flash and Java plugins just in case one of these is interfering with it.
Do you have Windows XP Pro or the "Home" version?

#5 GreasyWheeler

GreasyWheeler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

How To Reinstall Internet Explorer 8 and Why
Try this tutorial to Uninstall I.E.8 and then I.E.7 (or your previous version) should be automatically restored.

Once you do this, there is a link included on reinstalling I.E.8 if you wish -

Thanks -

Thanks to all who replied. It's running XP home premium. I have tried all possible means to execute ie8 since installing it, as asked in a reply. Last night I captured log files using utilities found on this forum, so I have txt files of what's going on. This all started with trying to install Turbotax 2011. It needs .net framework 4 and that failed to install. I tried to fix that a few weeks ago without luck. The folks at turbotax said go live online because the PC has issues. I installed it on my Dell laptop with no problem, I will uninstall ie8 on the plagued desktop and restore ie7 to regain access to windows updates. After installing ie8, windows update fails to launch too. It should be an easy fix, but I guess it's not. We can try to fix it over the next few weeks. It's not like I need this PC for work. If we can't find a solution, I'll wipe it. Thanks again All!

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

. It needs .net framework 4 and that failed to install. I tried to fix that a few weeks ago without luck.

.Net 4 Stand Alone Installer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users