Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Delete/format Harddrive W/ New Xp Home Disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pandasmith24

Pandasmith24

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hello all, I am trying to install Xp upgrade/home over a pirate copy of XP Pro, i am trying to be a legitimate XP home user w/ new XP upgrade/home disc from retail store.
i am trying this thru 4 ways with no luck, :thumbsup:

1). cmd prompt format c: enter, then "y" and enter. next is typical warning, of warning next it says
" format cannot run because is in use by another process. format may run if this volume is dismounted first. all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. do you want to continue.<y/n>"
type y and n different times and still will not run this way, :inlove:

2). have also went to MMC, disc management and options to delete/format partition is grayed out. ? :flowers:

3) have changed defaults in BIOS to default and restarted PC w/disc in to install windows, then gives msg of
boot failure, reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device. press any key to continue. :)

4). insert disc while PC is on, click on install windows, and setup cannot upgrade your current installation to windows XP your current installation of windows is not a supported upgrade path.
setup cannot continue, OK. :cool:

this is a Maxtor 40 GB HD, basic volume partition,with 1 partition only. :trumpet:
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][b] Joe Smith[color=#FF9900]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:30 PM

You might have a corrupt disk. If you bought it recently then I would suggest taking back to the retailer, or contacting whom you bought it from, and get another copy.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Pandasmith24

Pandasmith24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

even if this is a upgrade disc for XP home w/SP2 preinstalled,
i feel like i have done just about everytihng possible so far. if i am correct in my thinking, with my situation, i should be able to install windows regardless with bootleg XP Pro and trying to install XP home upgrade w/SP2 over my current version. right????? :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 11:16 PM

An XP home UPGRADE disk will not work if XP Pro was installed.
It won't even "upgrade" from Win2k Pro

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

You need a full installation version, not an upgrade.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 February 2006 - 11:26 PM.

#5 Pandasmith24

Pandasmith24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

All, I got it to work, it was a pain though. thanks for the replies and support, being persistant paid off for me here. i got it to work by making 6 XP home w/SP2 boot floppy discs and restarting the computer and getting the floppy to take it from there. so it can be done freinds, now i am enjoying XP home upgrade w/SP2 on PC, with no pirate XP Pro. the links below is how i did this, :thumbsup:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

above is the main link to get all or any floppy boot disc for any XP version, regardless of service packs!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

above is the one i created to get this to work.... :flowers:

It can be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :inlove:

again thanks for the replies and or assistance. joe :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users