Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RLC2

RLC2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

On one Win XP sp3 pc, I have three users set up with administrator level security. I want to keep one user from accessing the internet entirely while leaving the other two to have complete internet access. Looked at Content Advisor but that didn't seem to want to do what I want. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

Block Internet Access

Read down from Post #8 and see if those ideas help -
NOTE: Always create a Restore Point and back up important information if you alter any registry information -

Another simple trick, if the user of that account is not literate with windows config..
Log in to the user account that you want to block... go to tools --> iinternet option --> connection --> lan setting ... put nummy proy server and port ..click advance make sure the "use same on all protocol (something like this) is checked... this setting will remain only for the user and will not affect the other user...

Finally the simplest solution would be to spend $30 on something like NetNanny program. This restricts users that can log on to use the internet -
Use Google for the better results on this program -

Good luck -

EXTRA -
These results were generally found by entering Prevent one user from accessing internet into Google Search -
EDITED to clean up link -

Edited by noknojon, 21 March 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

On one Win XP sp3 pc, I have three users set up with administrator level security. I want to keep one user from accessing the internet entirely while leaving the other two to have complete internet access. Looked at Content Advisor but that didn't seem to want to do what I want. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

It depends on whether you have the Professional version of Windows XP or the "Home" version. If it's the latter, then there's not a lot you can do since every user is a Computer Administrator.

Here's another program which purports to be able to restrict access, but I don't have any personal experience with it, so I cannot say whether it works or not: http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

There are a few Firefox add-ons which may help too:

If you don't have Firefox installed, you can get it from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

K9 Web Protection Free download for Windows -
Download for: Windows | MacOS | iPhone, iPod, iPad | Android (Coming Soon)
Password protected for users on your system -

You are not (according to the information given) able to access many sites without the correct password -

NetNanny (sorry but no good link yet) is a similar system that needs a password to access many sites, but also allows internet access -

Are you wanting to just Restrict access, or fully Prevent internet access with this question ??

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users