Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Virus, need help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atheo

atheo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hello all

Big computer n00b here, however I come in need of help. While working on a paper yesterday, all the windows I had open closed and my computer opened about twenty consecutive warning messages that stated that the hard drive was having issues opening certain files (didn't take the time to read which ones but I know they were all in 'My Documents'). Another window that appeared to be a Windows Program opened, called 'System Check'. System Check informed me that I had found about 14 'critical errors' in my hard drive, including that it was spinning 20% faster than it should be and some other issues I didn't quite understand.

The program gave me an option to fix these issues, which it then set out to do after I clicked "fix problem". It fixed about half of the issues it had brought to my attention and the rest were unresolved. It then asked me to upgrade to the full version of system check so that it could fix the remaining issues. At this point I became very suspicious that my hard drive wasn't the cause of this (although I acknowledge that it might be fried now anyways) and that I had stumbled upon a virus. I ran Super Anti Spyware, something I do once a month regularly, and it detected, along with a number of cookies, 3 counts of a disabled TaskManager, or so it said. this is the only thing I can do with my computer as error messages have invaded my screen like constant pop ups and I have no access to my homepage, as well as the programs in my bottom lefthand windows tab have been either hidden or removed from the hard drive. (I don't know which one it is)

The reason I was able to run the anti spyware program is that it was in my little tool bar on the bottom right hand portion of the screen. My homepage is totally black and all the icons have been wiped out.

What I want to know is if this sounds more like an actual hard drive problem or a virus, and if so which kind of virus if you can even determine that from the information provided. If it happens to be a virus, is it likely that my computer is damaged? It's a Dell XPS, I'd say it's four or five years old (I got it refurbished from my dads friend who ruined the video card a couple years ago).

TIA

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 March 2012 - 04:33 PM.
Moved to AII from Vista ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rae99729

rae99729

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi orange blossom, did you get this problem fixed? I have the exact same problem.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

System Check is a malicious program and it should be removed as soon as possible.
It's often accompanied by other infection(s) so the best way is.....

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hello atheo and rae99729

Looks like a rougue antivirus has grabbed you. These are fake symptoms to make you pay for somethng that still won't work.

Do not delete any files from your Temp folder or use any temp file cleaners.

You can read about what this infection does here...System Check

I believe we can get around all these issues using that link I posted above.

Please follow our Removal Guide here System Check .
After reading how the malware is misleading you ...
You will move to the Automated Removal Instructions

After you completed that, post your scan log here,let me know how things are.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Also the other tool log.. A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If needed to get the desktop back..

Desktop fix..

Click Ctrl + Alt + Del to get the task manager up.
On the 'Processes' tab find "explorer.exe" and end that process.
Your desktop will go away.
Click on the 'Applications' tab and click New Task.
Enter explorer.exe as the task to start.
Your desktop will then come back.
Now try to launch IE again.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users