Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot and then install Combofix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nrgeti

nrgeti

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

My computer crashes with BSOD immediately after the Windows Logo. The error message is, "An attempt was made to write to readonly memory." I suspect a root kit virus but how do I boot into Combofix from a CD drive or USB port? I tried booting into Safe mode and using Last Known good system.

I am running Windows XP Media Center on a Dell desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hello and sorry for the delay.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 nrgeti

nrgeti
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I solved the problem by first obtaining Hiren's Boot CD. The latest version is well organized and useful. I found dozens of trojan viruses on this machine and then using the MiniWindows option in Hiren's I was able to start Avast which discovered a serious root kit virus but was not able to remove it. The next step was to use the MBR tool in Hiren's to rewrite a clean boot sector. Problem solved.

Fortunately the viruses had not corrupted any of the Windows files so it now works perfectly.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am glad to hear you were able to resolve it, but please note that Hirens boot CD is not something we support at BC because its mirror contains illegally distributed Microsoft files as well as quite some questionable applications. For more information see this topic.

There are other legit tools and/or ways to create a bootable CD (for example using a PE builder).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users