Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after virus recovery - should I start over?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 idotry

idotry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hello! Yesterday I recovered my Dell computer after having been infected with one of those fake "you have a virus!" popups. The virus was called (or rather, the fake tool was called) "System Check." I have Windows XP Edition 2003, although I have the professional editions of Word, Excel, etc. Nearly everything had disappeared off my computer and I ended up using the original Microsoft software to reinstall it - except I didn't reinstall it - I used the "recovery" option instead. I am still having problems: I seem to have a google redirect virus, I am having a problem with Silverlight not being compatible with Netflix anymore, applications are not under "Programs" anymore but instead are listed under "Control Panel." (I never liked it anyway when Microsoft changed from just having everyting on the "C" drive to having My Documents, My Computer, etc.) Are these the same documents/applications that show up in different places as shotcuts? The desktop doesn't work and has nothing on it (the right-click does not work on the desktop); I seem to have the same applications in different locations but they only show up once when you look at the "Add or Remove Programs" application. For example, there are two desktop icons showing - and one shows that the location is in %rootkit%. I uninstalled the free Malwarebytes in the "Add or Remove Programs" application because I intended to start over and download the whole thing again, but after that I did a search on the computer and still found Malwarebytes files and folders in various locations. Some of them were shortcuts. I don't understand why the uninstall didn't remove all of the files. Should I just start completely over with my computer and reinstall the Windows operating system, instead of having used the "recover" feature? We have different "users" on the computer - we have an Administrator and then the user name that we use. That is because one day I may want to add another computer. Would reinstalling the Windows software get rid of the google redirect virus? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

<<Windows XP Edition 2003>>

Do you mean Media Center Edition?

<<I ended up using the original Microsoft software to reinstall it - except I didn't reinstall it - I used the "recovery" option instead>>

What model Dell system is this, please?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#3 idotry

idotry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

The operating system is called "Microsoft Office Professional 2003." It is not Media Center Edition. It is on my home computer but it was received through a "home use" program. The computer is a Dell Dimension 3100 that I bought in 2006. After I posted this, I went to find that desktop icon again that said the target was %rootkit% but I couldn't find it!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Just for the sake of clarity...Microsoft Office (any year/version) is NOT an operating system. It is a suite of applications which are installed after the O/S is reliably installed.

I've never heard of a "home use" program, but the world is full of things which I know nothing about :).

See if you can do the following: Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

The only reason I'm asking all this...is to try to determine if your system employs a reovery partition or recovery disks...use of which is pretty much tantamount to a clean install.

Using the Windows System Restore function...cannot be relied upon to eliminate malware problems

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2012 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users