Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanently disabling laptop webcam?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lishy

Lishy

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hey guys. I'm the kind of guy who likes to keep his webcam permanently disabled until I use it. However, I'm facing an issue with my new laptop: When I disable my webcam in in Device Manager >>> Imaging Devices > USB2.0. UVC VGA WebCam, via Right click and Disable, sometimes the webcam mysteriously re-enables in my configuration!

This is recently formatted, so I know it's not a virus. It's probably my laptop itself.

Anyways, I'm still planning to use the webcam in the future, but for privacy concerns, I wish to make sure it's disabled for now. How can I do that?

My laptop is an Asus.

Edited by hamluis, 20 March 2012 - 12:20 PM.
Moved from External to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

What applications are you using when this happens? I know with Skype it automatically turns on when you first install it. MSN Live Messenger also does this.

#3 Lishy

Lishy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

Well I have just "reproduced" my problem, and it seems that for now, I can confirm restarting my computer re-enables the webcam (Hibernate does not, on the other hand)

To clarify, this is not an issue where my laptop is turned on with the light or anything. This is a issue of making it STAY disabled in Device Manager!

I googled and it said it has something to do with Asus Smartlogon, but I uninstalled that looong ago!

So what's re-enabling my camera, and how to I keep it disabled?

edit:
Seems to re-enable when I plug in my AC adapter too... So how the heck do I prevent that!? :S It seems to do this while on power4gear entertainment battery mode... Any Advice?

Edited by Lishy, 20 March 2012 - 10:32 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

To disable it...I would look in the BIOS settings.

Disabling it there will prevent detection/drivers loading.

Louis

#5 Lishy

Lishy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Good idea. How would I disable it in the BIOS?

It seems power4gear hybrid was enabling it, and I uninstalled that, but I still want an extra layer of protection(?) from my laptop being turned on, lol.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Can you provide us with the exact model number of your lap top?

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

just put a piece of black tape over it when not in use

lol

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

The only permanent foolproof method is to unplug the webcam from the motherboard. That usually requires at a minimum removing the keyboard.

Then you would either have to reconnect it to use it or get an external webcam.

For those reasons I second just put some black tape over it that you can remove when you need it. Also you might want to cover the microphone too.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users