Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new version upgrade question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hello all!!... I see that there is a new version available for Virtual Box. New version is 4.1.10, current version 4.1.8 r75467. I am pretty new to Ubuntu 11.10, and have two VM's that work wonderfully and I don't want to screw that up. If I install the new version, what else will I have to install ie: (extension pack) or will that be automatically included or need I even worry about that?
Thanks,
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Do you use the extension pack material already? If not then you do not need to install it, and it should be upgraded when you run the update manager.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

I think I do use the extension pack?? I had to download/install it from the VBox website in order to use my USB ports in VM's. The update/upgrade is not being offered through the Update Manager, it is offered when I open Virtual Box. I just know that in past attempts to rid myself of Windows, and something went awry in Ubuntu it was quite difficult for me to fix, which led me back to Windows. So this time I am attempting to be a bit more cautious as I am not as knowledgeable about Ubuntu as I am about Windows. Although it has been little over a month, and I am enjoying the Linux experience!!

Thanks,
Scott

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

Wait till it is available via update manager.

I still use Linux and Windows equally. DOnt completely switch over. It can be a IT Boosting Experience.

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

Don't get me wrong, I've never had any real issues with any window's boxes. Heck I make a fair living off them actually, and think that Win7 is a pretty decent OS. I am looking more to expand my knowledge of Linux..If I can handle a complete switch then fine, if I need Windows now and again, I can just jump into a VM.. Just looking to learn some!! As for the update manager; I originally installed VBox from there, but uninstalled per forum suggestion and installed from VBox website, along with Extensions pack, so I don't know if updated manager will offer an update or not.. I do have back up of all my VM's so I could try the update, and if all goes sideways; then reinstall the other version & ext pack... I will think on it longer, but Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks,
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users