Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 boot problem - reboot & select proper boot device

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ijustdontknow

ijustdontknow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

Hi, I have a Gateway desktop running windows 7 -64. While the system was powered on with no activity, it shut down and started to re-boot. Now every time I try to start the system it gives the message 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media and select'. From this screen you can't do anything. I'm not able to start in safe-mode either. I can get F12 to work to get to boot manager. This seems simular to the post 'Laptop won't start up' posted by The Duchess. Please help. We have almost a terabyte of information and starting over is not an option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

1) Check the boot order in bios and make sure the cd & hd are the first two boot devices (in whichever order you prefer)

2) Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Hi, I have a Gateway desktop running windows 7 -64. While the system was powered on with no activity, it shut down and started to re-boot. Now every time I try to start the system it gives the message 'Reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media and select'. From this screen you can't do anything. I'm not able to start in safe-mode either. I can get F12 to work to get to boot manager. This seems simular to the post 'Laptop won't start up' posted by The Duchess. Please help. We have almost a terabyte of information and starting over is not an option.

Check to see if the hard drive is detected in the BIOS. If it isn't, a (power) cable may have become loose.

If it is detected, boot up and immediately the Gateway logo disappears from the screen, hit the F8 key a few times to get the Windows Advanced menu. Use the arrow keys to select "Last Known Good Configuration" and then hit Enter. The operating system will load an image of itself the last time it worked properly.

Failing that, did you create a disk image? If so, insert the Repair disc you created and then use that to navigate to the location you saved it in. By default, it's located in a folder called "WindowsDiskImage". You can use that to restore the system to the date it was created on. It won't save your data which you created after you created the disk image unless you've been making regular backups, but at least you'll be able to retrieve most of it.

Edited by Xircal, 20 March 2012 - 10:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users