Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect PC to TV

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mentalmaniac

mentalmaniac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

Alright, I'll try and sum up my problem. I have an XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB that has 4 ports. 2xDVI 1xHDMI 1xDisplayport. I have a Dual 24" Monitor setup where I use both DVI ports. I like to watch movies which is fine when I am alone, but if I invite someone over it would be pretty lame to watch on a 24" monitor. I want to buy a TV so that I can have a bigger screen for guests and stuff. This is where the problem starts. I can uses 3 ports at a time but only if I use the displayport, my monitors don't support this and I've never seen a tv that did. So I was wondering, I don't really need a 3 monitor setup, Can I just have the TV mirror one of the other monitors? or is it possible to have the TV plugged into the HDMI port and then I can just switch to it when I need to? Like, switch between using 2xDVI to 1xDVI 1xHDMI on command? That would be ideal solution because that way my GPU wouldn't have to run 3 monitors when the 3rd one would go to waste 95% of the time. I am just trying to figure out the most cost effective way(including electric bill) to watch a movie from my computer to a TV. Thanks to anyone who tries to help in advance.

PS, Im sure I have a lot of PCI slots available on my motherboard. So if there is some kind of inexpensive adapter I can get, that would work

Edited by hamluis, 21 March 2012 - 09:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

A couple of options.

You could get a displayport to HDMI adapter
Or a DVI to HDMI and a audio cable.

From Here, which is what I ran across yesterday while searching to see why the Gigabyte 6850 would only drive one VGA Monitor. It turns out that on that card the bottom connector had to be DVI-D despite coming with Two DVI to VGA adapters. It was a stupid design putting DVI ports that a DVI-A can plug into but not supporting them.

Anyway

From Here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/321926-33-radeon-6850-monitors

EyeFinity requires that the DisplayPort be used to connect to one of the monitors. If you do not have a monitor with a DisplayPort, then you must purchase an Active DisplayPort to DVI adapter. Allowable configurations are as follows:

1. DVI / DVI / DisplayPort
2. DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort

You cannot use DVI / DVI / HDMI because the video signal chip that all three are connected to can only output to 2 monitors. DisplayPort has it's own video signal chip which is why using the DisplayPort is required for EyeFinity.

just took a quick look and Displayport to HDMI is fairly cheap (Under $20) or you can go Displayport to VGA for another monitor.

Converting to HDMI is probably the easiest way to go. That'll give you three displays.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 March 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mentalmaniac

mentalmaniac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

thanks. yeah, i was thinking displayport to hdmi was my best bet. however, will running a third monitor put extra stress on my video card? because I will literally only use it once in a while. It it possible to turn off third monitor support when i am not using it?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

HI,
As was said above "DisplayPort has it's own video signal chip which is why using the DisplayPort is required for EyeFinity."

Thus it should not have any impact on the video card performance. Not to mention when the TV is not connected the Display port should go inactive. That may depend on the TV set. Since I use my HDTV as my only monitor, Size does matter, Not a biggie for me.

The alternative to using the display port is to use a DVI to HDMI converter cable and only have one monitor.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 21 March 2012 - 09:31 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Nephilim1955

Nephilim1955

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

I have one of my computers hooked up in the living room on a new 46" Sony. The TV has built in wireless, for Netflix, Pandora, etc. Called Internet ready. Does Bluray. Does 3D. Has so many jacks on the back you can get lost. The computer has DVI out, which I connect to HDMI In. When you turn the computer on, the TV (now a big monitor) will automatically adjust the screen resolution. I hit HOME on the remote, then choose PC. And I'm ready to go. Has a beautiful picture. I can spend hours on the computer without getting eye strain. I zoom the screen to 190%, makes everything very easy to read. Cost, about 1300US. The 55" is 1800US. I had the 55" but returned, too large for my small living room. Samsung is good, too. Many with even better color. Well, there's my two cents worth.

Nephilim

Edited by Nephilim1955, 22 March 2012 - 02:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users