Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My external hard disc does not work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mj2000

mj2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hi all

Recently My external hard disc is not reconized by windows.

I have tried that in another system but still no go.

The light on it turns on and i hear the sound of its motor in it, but in windows there is no sighn of it.

please help and thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

if it is not being detected by more than one system then most likely the problem is internal to the drive. Low probability of it being the USB cable. A swap will tell. If that doesn't help then how mechanically handy are you?

What make and model of EHD is it?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

Thanks.

Its Seagate. i dont know which is the model but these are written in the back of it :
p/n :9SD2A6-500

s/n : 2GH5TGNL

An update to my issu :

On my Windows 7 running on Dell Inspiron 1520, In Device manager i saw some yellow icons in Universal Serial Bus controllers, and by disabling and reanablin them, the device showed up in my computer, it demanded a fix, i performed and now i can use it with no problems.

But on my XP running on a not much new PC, the device is recognised in device manager, even the icon of safely remove it appears in task bar and even i can open its contents using Tune Up Disk Explorer, but just it does not show up in My Computer.

I wonder that whatever the hardware of my PC is, it had no problems before with disc external hard but just recently.

Thanks for the help !

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi, If you right click on My Computer and choose properties then choose Manage
next go to Disk Management on the left side what shows for the Seagate?

Easiest way to tell it is the USB drive is to be in disk management first and then plug in the External Drive.
Under the Action tab you may have to Refresh or Rescan disks to see it.

If it is working fine in Windows 7, I would open Computer with it attached, right click on it's Icon (Drive letter), Pick properties and then Tools and then run the error checking and see if it finds any errors.

I would also strongly advise that if there is anything on that drive you do not want to lose that you copy it onto the computer first.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users