Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which should I get?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Which should I get? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which laptop is better for gaming?

1. Acer America AS7750G-6662 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Hewlett-Packard DV6-6C53NR (1 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rewster

Rewster

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

I currently have a desktop that is not for gaming (Has an integrated Radeon 3000 series GPU (see here)) and I am looking to buy a laptop, so that I can also do some browsing and small gaming when I am outside of home. When at home, the laptop will be used basically as a desktop. This laptop will be for games such as Skyrim, CS:S, Mass Effect 3, and some other games that have come out recently. My current desktop has trouble running all the games even in lowest graphic settings.

I have narrowed my options for what to buy down to two choices, with them only having a $20~ difference in pricing currently due to some current discounts. Otherwise, they cost the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215245
The first one I have been looking at for quite a while is looking pretty good. It was the first one I saw and chose, but have still been looking to see if there is better. Not wanting to really go much higher in price than this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834158372
This second one is one that I just now spotted an hour ago. I see it has a much newer Graphics card, but only 1GB of Video memory. I'm not sure how much of a difference the decrease in video memory will make, so I am at a loss on what to get.

The second laptop has better specs in everything, except for 1GB of Video memory instead of 2GB. Will that make a big difference, or will the second laptop be the better choice? Also, the second laptop has switchable graphics, which I have read that it can be a pain messing with.

Yes, I do know I can build a better gaming desktop rather than buying a laptop. However, I want to be able to take my computer with me and do my work and gaming while at school events, on road trips, etc. When i am at home, the laptop will basically be my "tower" and I will just use it as if it was a desktop computer.

Edited by Rewster, 19 March 2012 - 10:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

The HP is the handsdown winner-not only will out vastly outperform the ACER, but the quality of workmanship is in my opinion superior. HP also has world class customer service for when things do go wrong.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Do you think the HP will be a good gaming laptop?

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

As far as laptops go? it should do alright, far better then the ACER as far as gaming is concerned, but I wouldn't expect either to play BF3 maxed out at super high resolutions at 100+ fps, at least not for long. If your wanting to do any hardcore gaming, then I would suggest a desktop-even your top of the line gaming laptops burn out fast with hardcore gaming.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

Well, would you expect the laptop to stop working after a year or two, or last longer if taken good care of? I will be using it probably 4 hours a day, doing random stuff from just browsing the internet and watching videos, and gaming an hour at a time. I will also have it on a cooling pad with fans in it to help with overheating. As far as the performance will go, it will be tons greater than any of the computers I have had in the past.

I'm not looking for maxed out graphics and insane resolutions, but mainly something that will actually run all games. I currently can't run any recent games that have come out even on lowest graphics settings. Modern Warfare 2 runs at about 15 FPS at lowest, same with other new games. Some even go at 5 FPS or so. I will likely run at normal graphics settings or low with the laptop, as I mainly want performance and do not want to ruin it.

Edited by Rewster, 19 March 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

I would expect 2-3 years + out of it as long as its not left on when not in use you shouls be fine, and the hp should hand most games.

picard5.jpg

#7 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

My friend said that the HP might get hotter than the Acer because of being smaller and having the better specs. Would it have that much of a better chance at overheating, or should I just not worry about that?

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

It will run a little hotter, however HPs on average, have good cooling, and especially if your using a cooling pad when gaming, won't be a concern. What is a concern, is that ACER is well known for using substandard cooling fans, the bearings inside the fans leak out all their grease after awhile and actually heat up the laptop instead of cooling it, which leads to all kinds of problems. Not all ACER laptops have this issue, but Ive run into it more times then I can count. I would rather take the hotter running laptop with a good cooling system and better performance, then a lower performing laptop with possibly faulty cooling.

picard5.jpg

#9 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

Alright. Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure I will be getting the HP, unless anything else comes up in the next two months when I do the buy. Right now I'm just getting together everything I want to buy.

Another question I have - are the Laptop graphics cards basically the same as the desktop of the same model? My friend was trying to push me to stay with the acer because of it having more Video Memory and he thinks that will make a good difference (he says the GPU is probably nowhere near the same as the desktop version), but I am wanting to go with the HP with the fact that everything is better and the GPU is newer. I am pretty sure I am going with the HP now, I would just like to get an answer to the question about the GPU.

Edited by Rewster, 20 March 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

in essence, your friend is right-a mobile GPU is not the same as a desktop, and will not perform nearly as well, they never have. And in a desktop, more video RAM would make a difference especially with the higher resolutions. Now if you look at it, the ACER has a larger screen (17.3 inches) but only a 1600 x 900 resolution, while the HP (this is actually the only downside to gaming) has a smaller screen (15.6 inches) however, the smaller screen has a native solution of 1920 x 1080p, which is full high def. The HP actually has the better screen, its just going to be tinier, which makes it a little easier for the graphics card to handle so in all reality, theres the added video memory on the acer won't make a huge difference. Maybe increase the framerate in some games, but I doubt it would be a huge increase, I think the HP is going to give you a very playable framerate plus better image quality. Add into that the HP has a slightly better CPU, 2 more gigs of ram, and a slightly larger hard drive, if you dont mind the smaller screen size you will be getting a lot more bang for your buck.

picard5.jpg

#11 Rewster

Rewster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

So pretty much, the HP is the laptop to go with completely. I'm curious about the Turbo boost as well, how do you activate that, or does it self-activate when the processor needs more power? My dad bought a new laptop for himself with a slow 4 core AMD CPU (1.4GHz) that can use Turbo Boost to get to 2.4GHz, and he is wondering how to get that to work. Sorry if I am asking a lot of questions. You have really helped with my decision, and this is the last thing I am curious about.

Edited by Rewster, 20 March 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

In all honesty, Im not sure how intels turbo boost works, Im not a big intel guy (havent done an intel build with turbo boost) Though, I believe its a setting you have to engage in the BIOS but I could be wrong.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users