Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems after BSOD when I lost my MBR & MFT

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LizzieUK

LizzieUK

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm often on this site, learning from the pro's but rarely need to ask for help. I enjoy learning how Windows works and I tinker with just about every part of the operating system.
That inevitably leads to problems, which I fix and learn from, but this time I'm baffled.

I will give you all the information I have so bear with me.

My problems started after I made several changes to the computer. I uninstalled Avira AV and installed Avast AV. Then using Autoruns,
I unchecked two unverified Microsoft items from the list but I can't remember which ones. I probably made some other minor changes but again I don't remember.

When I restarted I had a BSOD with 0x0000007b (0x80d86b58, 0xc0000034...) I had lost my Master Boot Record and my Master File Table.
I was able to fix the MFT, booted from the DVD, ran Diskpart, and used the command sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\windows which showed Status: 0xc0000e.
I had to remove the file Windows\winsxs\reboot.xml then run the sfc command again. I also ran chkdsk /f at some point which showed no problems.

I got the system up and running and tried System Restore which was unable to help.
I have checked my hard drive with OEM software and have scanned my system with several security products including Malwarebytes' and DDS to rule out these problems
but I still have several issues including:

• I cannot open Registry Editor through Windows, in safe mode or with 3rd party software.
  • In User Accounts, I cannot access my own account or anything marked with a shield.
  • I cannot remove some programs due to a problem with the Windows Installer Service not being able to run.
  • Keyboard & Mouse options in Control Panel will not open (both devices still work).
  • I have no Windows Experience Index showing in "System" (it was a whooping 2.2 on this computer).
  • I have two errors in Event Viewer:

• The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Beep.
  • The Beep service failed to start due to the following error: Beep is not a valid Win32 application.

Running sfc /scannow with administrative privileges stops at 64% every time I run it.
I've ran the command findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log to show what files cannot be repaired but the list is still huge.

I believe one of my main issues is caused by not having the correct access rights
and I understand that formatting the hard drive is an option
but
I would appreciate a little guidance to try and fix the system before I consider reinstalling Windows.

My operating system is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thank you.

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.
But it was just one day and a very long time ago.

Elizabeth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

Actually, 0x0000007b translates to INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE which means that the disk driver didn't load. Your MBR would still have been intact at that point (may still be). Your first point of call should have been the BIOS to make sure the drive was detected in there. If it wasn't, then the next step would have been to check cables.

Running "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Windows Advanced menu might have gotten you out of trouble too.

However, we are where we are now...

To log on as Administrator, follow instructions in this article (saves me having to type it all): Enable Built-in Administrator Account

Did you create a system image? If so, insert your Windows Repair disc and then navigate to where you saved it. The folder is called "WindowsDiskImage" by default. Using that will restore the OS to the date it was created (hopefully not too long ago).

If you don't have one, then run a Repair installation: How To Perform a Startup Repair in Windows 7

I'd advise you against running either FIXBOOT or FIXMBR from the Recovery Console since doing so may result in the file system reverting to FAT32 by which your data will become innacessible.

If all else fails though, then you're looking at clean install I fear.

#3 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Xircal.

My first post was getting a little long so I removed anything which didn't help explain how I got to my current situation.

I understood the error code 0x0000007b but I also lost the MBR and MFT.
The BIOS could see the hard drive but I got the message "Master Boot Record has changed. Press any key to restore..." then I got "No operating system found..."
I tried Last Known Good Configuration which resulted in an instant BSOD.
I used the UBCD4Win and found that my four partitioned hard drive had become one partition. That's why I restored both the MBR and the MFT.

Using the hidden Admin account does not help, mainly because I still cannot access the registry.
Running a Startup Repair returns the message "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically"
Running a Repair Install would be an option although I probably just do a clean install if all else fails.

All this might seem pointless to some but I joined this site in 2009 not knowing how to plug a computer in let alone trying to fix them for fun.
Then through trial and error I have been on a steep learning curve, but compared to some people on this site I am still a beginner.

That's why I was actually hoping for a few suggestions from the BC experts to see if it is possible to gain access to the registry and fix the computer without a reinstall.

Thank you

Elizabeth

One day, along time ago, in a land far far away, there lived a girl who did not nag moan or whinge.

Elizabeth

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:41 AM

Is it a laptop or a desktop PC? If it's the latter, you could consider adding a new hard drive, install the OS on that and then use the one you have now as storage. The OS will automatically assign a drive letter to it afterwards. That way, you should be able to retrieve your own personal data which is on that drive.

As regards not being able to access the registry, I don't quite understand what you hope to achieve even if that were possible?

#5 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

It's a desktop computer. I have no problem accessing my data on the hard drive as it's the computer I have been using to write these posts.
Your suggestion about using another hard drive is what I did when I first lost the MBR. I used another drive with XP installed to get things up and running, then swapped the drives over again.

It's just my old PC that is now used to store and play music at home. I don't need to reinstall the operating system to get the PC working, I would just like to fix the issues I mentioned in my first post.

I thought someone would be able to tell me a quick and easy fix to the problems I listed.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:04 AM

It's a desktop computer. I have no problem accessing my data on the hard drive as it's the computer I have been using to write these posts.
Your suggestion about using another hard drive is what I did when I first lost the MBR. I used another drive with XP installed to get things up and running, then swapped the drives over again.

It's just my old PC that is now used to store and play music at home. I don't need to reinstall the operating system to get the PC working, I would just like to fix the issues I mentioned in my first post.

I thought someone would be able to tell me a quick and easy fix to the problems I listed.

Elizabeth

It sounds like your system is in quite a mess Lizzie, so I don't think you're going to find a 'quick and easy fix' somehow.

But have a look at this article because it contains quite a few options which might get you out of trouble: http://www.pcc-services.com/windows/guide-noboot.html

#7 LizzieUK

LizzieUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Xircal
Thank you for your time.

It sounds like your system is in quite a mess Lizzie

Well, if I must break something I might as well make a good job of it.

I will have a look at the link you provided later tonight but I have one more question to ask. I mentioned in my first post that
in User Accounts, I cannot access my own account or anything marked with a shield.
I know items with the shield need administrator privileges but I am unable to open the items as both left and/or right clicking them does nothing.

I know there's a way to reset all privileges and user rights back to default settings but I can't remember how. Do you have any idea how I would do this?

Elizabeth

Edited by Lizzie Charlton, 26 March 2012 - 03:35 PM.

Elizabeth

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

Xircal
Thank you for your time.

It sounds like your system is in quite a mess Lizzie

Well, if I must break something I might as well make a good job of it.

I will have a look at the link you provided later tonight but I have one more question to ask. I mentioned in my first post that
in User Accounts, I cannot access my own account or anything marked with a shield.
I know items with the shield need administrator privileges but I am unable to open the items as both left and/or right clicking them does nothing.

I know there's a way to reset all privileges and user rights back to default settings but I can't remember how. Do you have any idea how I would do this?

Elizabeth

Hi Lizzie,

• Click Start and then in the Search field at the bottom, type: CMD. Right click the link you get and choose "Run As Administrator".
  • Type: CD\ and hit Enter to take you to the root.
  • Type: net user administrator /active:yes and hit Enter to enable the hidden Administrator a/c.
  • Type: exit to close the command prompt.
  • Reboot and you should see the Administrator a/c on the startup menu. Login with that. It doesn't have a password by default.
  • Create another user a/c for yourself and delete the existing one.
  • Hide the built-in Admin a/c with net user administrator /active:no from a command prompt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users