Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp pro freezes during reinstall from cd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kev4174

Kev4174

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hello All

A while back I was infected with a virus and while I was able to clean the virus, i ran into problems where the explore was responding very slow to non-responsive.

A friend of mine who works as an IT technician suggested some fixes and the last suggestion was that i should try to reinstall the os over the existing from the cd (not the recovery console). So that is what i did after backing up my data. I followed the on screen instructions and prompts. (yes my copy of window xp pro is legal)

The installation perform okay with no error messages, however when the system rebooted after copying the files, the black logo screen that pops up and displays the message "Please wait...", this is where the computer freezes. I actually did this a few times from the advise from my friend. At one point i did the following,

once hit the reset button which after booted to the logon screen. I was able to log in and windos indicated that it needed to activate before continuing. I clicked on activate windows and all i got was a blank blue screen (not the blue screen of death)
The second time i let the system stay at the black logo screen that pops up and displays the message "Please wait..." over night, thinking the system justed needed more time to perform the setup but to no avail.

I am thinking that windows is hanging on one of the install files or waiting for user input but it is not displaying the message or that I might of messed things up for myself.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and might have a possible fix.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

Can you recall the steps you took to reinstall? After you hit F8 to accept the licence agreement, you have two choices:

• Run a Repair installation by hitting 'R'
  • Install a fresh copy by hitting ESC
If you press 'R', the operating system starts deleting system files, but only those which it can restore. It then copies the installation files from the CD to the hard drive. You'd see a yellow bar on a blue background moving from left to right during this process. After that, you'd see the regular Windows Installation splash screen. A 'Repair' installation performed in this way leaves your files and data intact. Neither do you need to activate Windows again.

However, if you're seeing the message that you do need to activate Windows, then I guess you used the second option, but didn't delete the partition first. This is likely to result in all sorts of problems because many system files will have been updated during the regular 'Patch Tuesday' updates. Trying to overwrite them with older versions from the installation CD is not something XP likes doing.

In your current situation, I would advise you to try and run a Repair installation. There are screenshots of the Repair process installation on this site: How To Do A Repair Install Of Windows XP

If that fails, then you're you'll need to do a clean install. That means deleting the partition which also deletes all your personal data and files if they're located on the root (C:\), recreating it and then reformatting and reinstalling the operating system. You'll also have to install DirecX which should be the first installation followed by the chipset drivers for the motherboard and then drivers for your video card, sound card etc.

An option which you might want to consider is to buy a new hard drive and then install Windows XP on that. Windows will automatically re-assign a drive letter to the drive which you have already and after the installation completes, you'll be able to access your own data on that drive. Hard drives are quite cheap these days and you don't need a large capacity drive. 100GB should be enough although the difference between a 100GB drive and a 250GB dive is minimal and you might want to go for the larger one because of that. You can partition it so that you have say 60GB for the operating system and programs and then the other 190GB can be used for storage.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

FWIW: A repair install should not be counted on...to correct problems with a system that has/had known malware problems. At best, it is just an effort where the user hopes that problems will be corrected. A repair install replaces the system files...but if the problem does not lie with those files, a repair install is an ineffective effort.

Although you declare that the malware was removed/negated...seems to me that your repair install problems point to the possibility that either the malware was not removed properly or you have a hardware problem.

Since you have backed up data files...I would try a clean install of XP. That would generally minimize the chance of malware being the culprit and would also tend to pinpoint ensuing problems within the hardware arena.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users