Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I really need a virus on THIS system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 supafish

supafish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hello all. I know that most of you have maybe seen this request elsewhere out there, and it may sound crazy to some. I train technical support agents to remove malware, viruses, and rootkits. I can create simple infections, and simulate infection, but it is not the same. This is a training system I am on now and have been trying to get infected for over a week with no luck. I have contracted a couple of sissy fake scanners that can be undone too easily. I have been to several torrent sites, installed file sharing software looking for programs like Photoshop stating 5 MB's in size, and Russian game crack sites to no avial. I even used a Chinese public proxy with all ports open for 3 dys. I have been to every site on the so called "dirty 100 sites" listed by the top antivirus companies. No love. No antivirus installed. Windows Defender and Windows Firewall service is turned off, IE protected mode off, and security set to lowest . I have installed dozens of registry cleaners and been to naughty sites. No love.

I am looking for the biggies: WinAntivirus 200X, Windows XP Security, Windows Fixer, (or any variant). Rootkits will be good as well. I have a level 1 malware infection, now looking for level 2 and 3. If anyone knows of a currently loaded site, or where I can get a real infection, please let me know.

This is harder than it seems, and there are several IT admins and trainers with similar request out there. I figured I would come to you guys because of the talent level here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Budapest, 19 March 2012 - 08:57 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Welcome to BC, supafish.

I'm sorry, but I don't think we can help you with this particular request (see quote below).

Hope you understand.

--------------------

The main goal of BleepingComputer is to help users resolve various computer problems, not to distribute malware samples for whatever purpose. Requesting and/or providing links to live malware or live malware samples does not fall under that objective and is for that reason not something we allow or encourage.

While I understand you may have good reasons to look for a sample, BC is simply not the place to obtain one. There are multiple sites specialized in malware samples where these requests can be posted.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic440176.html/page__p__2577678#entry2577678

Edited by RedDawn, 19 March 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

supafish, we will not provide links to malware samples or malicious sites where infections have been contracted and spread. Others reading this topic may use the information for nefarious purposes or an unwitting novice user may accidentally click a link and end up infecting their computer.

For those and other obvious reasons noted by RedDawn, we are not going to provide specific information in a public forum and by policy, we don't provide assistance via PM. However, you can perform a simple Google search search on "how to infect your computer on purpose" which will provide that information.

If your intention is to infect a VM for the purposes of testing/training, be aware that not all malware will work in that environment. Malware writers have been able to create malicious files which can detect if it is running in a VM. When that detection is made, the malware is able to change its behavior by not running any malicious code which can infect the operating system. This is a deliberate technique to make analysis/detection more difficult for security researchers who use VMs to study infections in order to understand the methodology used and find disinfection solutions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 supafish

supafish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks gang. I completely understand. It is not a virtual environment. I infect a local system, then make an image using Clonezilla image to push to training machines. I have level one that can be easily removed just using Process Explorer and Autoruns. As of today, we now have Zeus 2 captured, which may be the wickedest virus ever. Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, etc. cannot pick it up.

It is hard to get infected when you have been hunting and killing viruses, worms, malware, and rootkits for years. I have never reinstalled for a virus. Just cannot let a pin head beat me. :)

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Persistence pays off.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif