Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Server 2008R2 in VirtualBox no network adaptor...Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, i wasn't too sure sorry.

Anyway, i have Windows Server 2008 R2 running in a virtual box, and its basically saying that there is no network connection. I have tried changing the network settings in VB such as NAT, Bridge adapter etc. however it still says there is no network. I have even tried the virtualbox on both my computer and laptop and get the same message.

I have an XP virtual box loaded and this has no issues with the internet what so ever.

Attached are some print screens of the errors i am receiving from the virtual box.

If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.PNG   45.48KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  2.PNG   112.91KB   7 downloads
  • Attached File  3.PNG   88.66KB   6 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

It is saying there is no network connection because the driver has failed to install for the virtualized network adapter. According to the FAQ's microsoft dropped support for one of the adapters they were using in Vista. They say to try the intel E1000 driver manually. Also another possiblity is that one of the inf files is corrupted. Check out the FAQ to see about this. The only solution they give is to uninstall and reinstall virtual box. I would also try to download a server 2008 compatible driver for your computers network adapter and install that on the virtual box server it may work too.

Edited by Baltboy, 21 March 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

Thanks for the response. Downloading that file didnt work though unfortunately.

As i have said i have tried reinstalling Server 2008 on two seperate computers and i have the same issue. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks very much in advance!

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

Did you try going to the driver tab on the VB server network adapter in device manager and changing the adapter driver to the Intel E1000 driver? If so also try the AMD PCNet driver since that is what the older VB clients tried to use.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Not Important

Not Important

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

You should select the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server adapter in the VBox GUI.
That should install automatically when you restart your Server 2008 R2 machine.

#6 avinash.bhageloe

avinash.bhageloe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:48 PM

This helped me to solve the problem. Thanks a lot.  :bananas:

Regards, Avinash Bhageloe

You should select the Intel PRO/1000 MT Server adapter in the VBox GUI.
That should install automatically when you restart your Server 2008 R2 machine.

#7 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:25 PM

I have tried changing the network settings in VB such as NAT, Bridge adapter etc. however it still says there is no network. I have even tried the virtualbox on both my computer and laptop and get the same message.

David just in case you needed some information on the differences between the VB network types here is a summary.

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Network_Configuration_in_VirtualBox.

The two most common modes are NAT and Bridge.

NAT will use the IP address being used by the host. Actually it assigns an IP to the VM and then the VB network driver that was installed on the host does NAT between the host and the VM.

Bridge will actually assign an IP to the VM from the DHCP provider on the physical network. If your router is issuing IP addresses between 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.200 and your host is assigned the IP address 192.168.0.101, then your VM may get the IP address 192.168.0.102.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users