Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Backup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rebop

rebop

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 19 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

I can't seem to schedule a backup to take place later, using the windows xp pro backup utility wizard. I choose advanced before finishing the set-up process, choose the daily backup option, set the time to back-up, and voila! nada. Anyone been here before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:41 AM

This may help...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...ule_backup.mspx
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 rebop

rebop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

Well, thanks for taking the time. Now I have created a fourth scheduled backup job--though your suggestion did take me down a different path--but none of them run at the scheduled time. Taking the path you suggested, when I get to step 5 (select File or a tape device in Backup destination, and then save the file and folder selections by clicking the Job menu, and then clicking Save Selections) that option is not "active"--I can't select a file or tape device.
Know of any free utilities for getting the job done without microsoft's solution?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

Try this:

Enhanced Windows Backup 1.1.1006
http://www.download.com/Enhanced-Windows-B...tml?tag=lst-0-2

or this:
SyncBack 3.2.9
http://www.download.com/SyncBack/3000-2242...tml?tag=lst-0-6

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 February 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 21 February 2006 - 05:06 PM

Try Snap Backup

http://www.snapbackup.com/faq/

Can Snap Backup schedule backups to happen automatically?
To facilitate launching backups from scripts and schedulers, Snap Backup can be run from the command-line. Use the scheduler built for your operating system (for example, "cron" on Linux and "Scheduled Tasks" on Windows) to automate your backups.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 rebop

rebop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:25 AM

Great feedback. thanks, Enthusiast--I tried SyncBack 3.2.9, and while setting up a schedule for backing up received the message "windows xp does not allow blank passwords for scheduled events". Eureka, as they say. I can't think of anything more annoying than requiring a pw of myself--no network here, I'm the sole user of this machine. But it seems I must now require myself to sign on and off if I'm to schedule a backup. And, at the risk of whining, why doesn't windows xp offer that message to folks trying to schedule events with blank passwords? Seems like an obvious thing...
But this is a great forum, and thanks again

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

Glad we could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users