Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE SELECT OPERATING SYSTEM to start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4835

Chris4835

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

This is Windows XP home. Every time his computer starts. He gets the following message: Please select which operating system to start. Now, the top one, which is highlighted starts just fine.

But if he selects the bottom one it will not start at all. The description for both is exactly the same. Is it possible to get rid of the bottom one, so the computer starts normally?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Please have a read here: How do I edit the boot options?. I must stress this, and please make sure you pick the right one, because if you dont you will render your PC unbootable.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yes, it's possible :).

Boot into the working designated install...then follow the procedures at Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm .

Louis

#4 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

Thank you both very much for the quick response. I'll work on it tomorrow.

#5 Chris4835

Chris4835
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

Louis:Thank you very much for posting the link to the instructions for deleting the invalid operating system entry in msconfig, which I use a lot for disabling nuisance star-ups. I never dreamed it would be that simple. Almost feel stupid for asking in the first place.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:28 PM

There are no stupid or silly questions, the only stupid ones are those not asked.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Agree with Dan...I didn't feel stupid the first time I found that link :).

I wanted something simpler than editing the boot.ini file directly...a Google search revealed that link and others like it.

Glad it worked for you, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users