Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect everything: Hub? Docking station? Network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 the2bachic

the2bachic

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I know this can be done, but I do not know how or the best/easiest/least expensive way to do it. We have two printers (laser and inkjet), external hard drive where all our documents are stored, and a scanner - all USB connected. We tether to our cell phones for internet, also USB. Cameras, when connected (about once a week), is USB. EVERYTHING is USB. I want something like a hub or docking station to connect them all, or maybe even a network (don't know enough about how that works, so you'll have to be very specific) so that I can just plug my laptop in and be connected or wirelessly connect. No messing with 14 different USBs twice a day...

To further complicate it, I'd like to have 2 laptops connected to the hub/docking station/whatever at the same time so that each can have access at the same time.

So fire away with your suggestions, please! THANKS!!

PS - we do have a "wireless access point" that was for our internet, but we no longer use it since going to cell tethering.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

You can buy what is called a Powered USB hub.
The USB hub will connect 4, 0r 7 USB devices to one port on the computer.

However you can only use such a hub on one computer at a time. You could get a USB switch to switch between different computers.
So it becomes use the USB hub with one computer or the other computer, not both at one time. Sorry.

The only way to use a printer, external drive and a scanner is to have them all be replaced by ones that can hook up to a network. Then you would just plug in the Ethernet cable and use them. I Know of no reliable way to convert the equipment you already have to networking.

There is also the possibility of wearing out the USB port with constant plugging and unplugging.

I wish I could be more helpful
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users